Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Some questions about police investigation/policies/information spreading:

1. Would it be conceivable for say a robbery detective to know who's been assigned to a high-profile murder?  Would this be consider classified/inner-department knowledge or could she mention this to a civilian without breaking policy? This would a serial murder case covered in the papers. 

2. In a medium-large (dangerous) city, if several homicide detectives were involved in a serial murder case, would they possibly pull others from other departments to help cover other cases/handle grunt work?

3. In cases where there's clearly some brand of crazy happening, do police consult psychologists? Has does that work?

#2 addie.cass

addie.cass

Addie Cass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've finished my first novel. I am starting a sequel now.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

In my experience, it's no secret which officers are assigned to which cases.  Yes, they definitely would consult psychologists. And, once a case is in the detective department, it stays there. Someone suddenly overwhelmed with a huge case might hand other cases off to another detective rather than to another department, I would guess.

#3 M. Hunt

M. Hunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

I know this is a bit late, but I hope it may help.

1. It wouldn't be a secret who is assigned to what case, and that information is entirely releasable to the public.

2. Yes, neighboring agencies can take calls for an agency that is overburdened due to an extreme incident that requires a lot of manpower. For example, a mass casualty incident would likely have all of the jurisdiction's officers on hand while the neighboring agencies might take their routine calls (i.e. burglaries, prowler calls, vehicle accidents) for them. It would be up to the Chief of Police or Sheriff of each agency to communicate or make that determination though. 

3. Yes, during an investigation a psychologist may be consulted. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users