#1 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

Anyone else trying out this year? I've got a manuscript ready, and I could start querying, but I've eaten enough rejections over the last three ms's that I'm nervous to start with this one. So I figure, hey! A critique contest! Perfect!

Anyone else wanna be my anxiety buddy in the PitchWars trenches?

#2 Deeba

Deeba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented, industry insider
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am an editorial assistant at Disney Publishing Worldwide! :)

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

I am also entering. It's the last contest for Time Slave (I've been querying it for slightly under a year). 

My mentor maybe list is at 15 (after narrowing it down from 25) and now I keep interacting with mentors on twitter and it's bumping up the count again.... how can I pick only 4???

Deeba Zargarpur

Instagram: deebazargarpur

Twitter: @deebazargarpur

Email: deebazargarpur@gmail.com

#3 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Whereas I'm having the opposite problem. I wrote a YA fantasy where the main character, like me, is an aro/ace. And there's a discouraging amount of mentors who say they need at least a little romance in the submission to consider it.

#4 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:32 PM

I've heard so much about Pitch Wars but I have no idea how it works! Can one of you please explain it to me?? Thank you!

#5 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:50 AM

I've heard so much about Pitch Wars but I have no idea how it works! Can one of you please explain it to me?? Thank you!

PitchWars is a contest where writers submit a query letter and a sample chapter to four mentors via an online form. These mentors are either editors or agented/published authors. There is a blog hop where you can browse the mentors and get to know them and their likes/dislikes. If a mentor likes your submission, they'd ask for more material (1-3 page synopsis or 50 pages or full MS). After a month of consideration, the mentors announce their picks for the mentees. Each mentor gets to choose only *one* mentee from more than fifty other submissions. So, yeah, it's a tough competition. 

If chosen, the mentee revises the MS with the mentor for two months. The mentor sends her an edit letter and line edits the revised draft. The approach to mentoring is subjective.

At the end of two months, the pitch (35 words) and a sample (250 words) are showcased on Brenda Drake's website for the participating agents. The agents make requests for more material in the comment section if they like what they see.

This contest has a very high success rate. From the 2015 batch of mentees, fifty writers are now represented by agents. Some of them have already signed major publishing deals.

Find out more about PitchWars at http://www.brenda-dr...com/pitch-wars/ or use the twitter #PitchWars.

#6 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:42 AM

Hey guys,

I missed last years pitchwars. I checked the links and twitter, but where exactly do we send our pitches to?

I am totally confused.

#7 Ajax

Ajax

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

Hey guys,

I missed last years pitchwars. I checked the links and twitter, but where exactly do we send our pitches to?

I am totally confused.

You write the pitch (query + 1st chapter) to PitchWars on an online submission form that opens on Brenda Drake's website (see above). The form remains open for three days. The date is announced in advance but it's not fixed. I'd say it opens around August.

Follow the hashtag and Brenda Drake on twitter to stay updated. Ask the mentors if you are still confused. They'd be more than happy to help you.

#8 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Oh darn - it opened in August? Does that mean we just missed it? For some reason I thought it started in the spring...

#9 michaelmammay

michaelmammay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:30 AM

Oh darn - it opened in August? Does that mean we just missed it? For some reason I thought it started in the spring...

Yes, you just missed it. It's still going on, but the finalists were announced the last week of August. The submission window is usually around the first of August. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users