#1 Saraquill

Saraquill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

I was at a conference, practicing my pitch to an editor. According to her, I needed to think of a title that better matched my pitch.

I chose "Legless Spider," as I use spider motifs for my protagonist throughout the story. She spends most of the book in dire situations, and has trouble walking, hence the "legless" part. 

I'm also perplexed, as I know the title I pitch with isn't necessarily going to be the title the final book is going to be. I'm certain editors and the marketing people in whatever publishing press picks this up will find something suitable. I don't know why she asked me to change the title at this point in the querying process.

If you give me a critique, I'll return the favor.

Thoughts on my hook? http://agentquerycon...legless-spider/

How is my synopsis? http://agentquerycon...pider-synopsis/

#2 D. Thomas Clark

D. Thomas Clark

Query Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:A couple of editing jobs, PNWA contest finalist

Posted 19 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

I had this same experience. I guess I'm lucky though, since they all came up with the same title and I didn't have to come up with it on my own.  So even though mine may not be the same later, for now, I'm using the one they suggested.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

I like the title. It's intriguing and it could lend itself to interesting cover art. Plus, it makes me wonder how it's being used -- what metaphorical meanings I'll find on the pages. That's the purpose, after all.

#4 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Just my two cents--"Legless Spider" is a comic image for me. 

#5 D. Thomas Clark

D. Thomas Clark

Query Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:50 PM

Honestly, I stopped by because it sounded funny. But, at least it got me to look at it, so that's something.

#6 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

Also--just because the final title might be different, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to have one that matches the tone of your book for pitching. (it doesn't mean you have to listen to this one agent's advice, either, but I agree with the agent--it strikes a tone very different than what you describe here.  It reminds me of what happens to the bogart that Ron challenges in Lupin's DADA class.

#7 D. Thomas Clark

D. Thomas Clark

Query Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

So randomly, this Legless Spider thing came into my head--same funny image--but then it made me think of something else. "Silkless" Spider could give a similar impression to what you want but is a sad image instead of one that might be funny depending on who you ask. Just thought I'd mention it.

#8 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:46 PM

The Legless Silkless Spider

I dunno if that's a good suggestion or not, but I like it...mysterious and mod.

My mind finishes with "went up the water spout" because of the rhythm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users