Disclaimer

Photo

Subset of memoir or traditional fiction?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am mainly a self-published writer, and looking to break into hybrid publishing.

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

I was wondering, how much of your life is required to truly count as a memoir? I always tended to be one of those where I create entirely fictional characters as metaphors for a motif of a personal feeling that was common when I was writing any particular book.

So it was interesting, when a friend said the elf girl represents death.

Meadow Of Gold: Uploaded Fairy Saga -- Satanic Futurism -- Novella -- Complete

Simply Pace -- Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- New Mainstream/Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Hemato Tomato -- Guillotine Western/Magic Realism -- Short Story -- Complete

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you're writing about yourself -- your real life -- it would fit as memoir. If you're using elements of your life as metaphor for something, that sounds like fiction to me. There's no litmus test I know of that determines whether you're writing memoir or fiction. I think all of us who write fiction include parts of our lives -- consciously or unconsciously -- into our writing. That's part of writing fiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users