BumbleBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hi,

So in my WIP two characters are doing some small talk in the background about sports. It is mid-January....what kind of professional/televised sport could they reasonably be talking about?

Draft picks in hockey?

The playoffs in basketball?

The....scrum-championship of rugby?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 VonAngel

VonAngel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

It'd be mid-season for basketball and hockey too, I think, but my fav would be NFL conference championship games w/ the superbowl around the corner a couple of weeks later. If your characters are just having small talk and aren't displaying too much passion, then aim for basketball or hockey. But ultimately, choose the sport that best fits your characters.

Posted Image
{MY BLOG}
Posted Image
lover of words writing for the soul

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

January 2016-

1 Ice hockey 2016 NHL Winter Classic Foxborough, Massachusetts (United States )
1-10 Cross-country skiing 2016 Tour de Ski Switzerland/Germany/Italy
3-9 Tennis 2016 Hopman Cup Australia (Perth Arena)
8-15 Ice hockey 2016 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship (Canada ) Meridian Centre, Seymour-Hannah Sports and Entertainment Centre
9-10 Speed skating 2016 European Allround Speed Skating Championships Belarus
10-16 Ice hockey 2016 IIHF World Women's U18 Championship Division I Hungary
10-23 Water polo 2016 Men's European Water Polo Championship Serbia
11 American football 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, Arizona)
12-30 Association football 2016 AFC U-23 Championship Qatar -Doha (Abdullah bin Khalifa Stadium, Grand Hamad Stadium, Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium, Suheim Bin Hamad Stadium)
14-17 Ski flying FIS Ski Flying World Championships 2016 Austria (Kulm)
15-24 Ice hockey 2016 IIHF World U20 Championship Division III Mexico
15-31 Handball 2016 European Men's Handball Championship Poland
16-7 February Association football 2016 African Nations Championship Rwanda - Kigali, Butare, Gisenyi
17-23 Ice hockey 2016 IIHF World U20 Championship Division II - Group B Serbia
18-31 Tennis 2016 Australian Open (Grand Slam #1) Australia
22-24 Speed skating 2016 European Short Track Speed Skating Championships Russia
24-6 February Amateur boxing 2016 AIBA Women's World Boxing Championships Kazakhstan
25-31 Figure skating 2016 European Figure Skating Championships Slovakia - Ondrej Nepela Arena
26-30 Track cycling 2016 Asian Track & Para-cycling Championships Japan
26-2 February Biathlon 2016 IBU Youth/Junior World Championships Romania
29-31 Speed skating 2016 World Junior Short Track Speed Skating Championships Bulgaria
30-31 Cyclo-cross 2016 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships Belgium
30-31 Luge FIL World Luge Championships 2016 Germany
31 American football 2016 Pro Bowl United States
31 Ice hockey 2016 NHL All-Star Game United States

As always feel more than free to ignore.

#4 BumbleBee

BumbleBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

Thank you VonAngel and Pen!

That was very helpful!

:biggrin:

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

I think vonangel's comment about choosing the sport that fits your character is crucial. The sports that a character enjoys -- or doesn't -- are telling about that character. I'm not meaning that in any judgmental way. I'm a sports fan, but I personally don't care about some sports except in certain contexts. I don't think about track and field except during the Olympics, for example, or unless someone I know is involved. I love baseball,  but these days I don't know any of the kids playing baseball in my area, so I don't follow high school baseball. But I did when I was younger and still knew the coaches, etc. So build that conversation in a way where your reader learns something about the characters.

#6 BumbleBee

BumbleBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

I completely agree that the sport they like reveals character but the reason I'm not so concerned about the specific sport in terms of character building is because the specific sport isn't what reveals character in this interaction, it's the act of small talk that is revealing of the character.

It could just as easily be weather but sports are a better gamble because there's always the possibility that the person your talking to will be a fan and will happily carry the bulk of the subsequent conversation. It also in a subtle way reinforces the gender norms men (at times) perpetuate with each other when they first meet.

Ironically both the men in this interaction are not sports fans (one is a musician and likes hockey but not in a must watch every game way, the other is too busy with work to follow any sport but he is very persuasive and so forms opinions on everything to grease conversational wheels in just such a circumstance, a bit of a glad-hander) but do want to make a good impression on each other out of a desire to impress the MC and ensure smooth relationships all around. Hence their desperation for a topic and the added bonus of subliminally measuring each others' performed masculinity.

I go into this long winded explanation not because I think anyone's interested in the deep background of minor characters in a WIP, but because I wanted to be clear that I'm not just doing this because I think all sports are interchangeable and irrelevant to character building.

I do appreciate being advised against missing opportunities for character development though, so, sincerely, thank you for the advice!  :smile:

#7 DocScurlock

DocScurlock

Doc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have not been published and have no interest in self publishing.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

UFC

WWE

boxing

NFL

just some thoughts. UFC and WWE are timeless and great for kibitzing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users