jjf3rd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:22 AM

Halfway done the first book in this epic time travel saga. I plan this to be a trilogy. It's more of a political thriller trapped inside a near-future Earth that has developed time travel to the point where it is as commonplace as the modern day cell phone. 

The next two books will be titled:

Dynasty: Aftermath

Dynasty: Memories of Tomorrow

#2 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

They're not bad. You're not even done with the first novel, though? Wow, it took me forever to come up with a title. That's impressive. 

I like the first title the most - Roots of an Empire. It has a political under-taste to it. Aftermath feels like something bad happened in the first novel and this is, literally the aftermath. The third, Memories of Tomorrow, feels like the bright ending where the gang of spunky characters fixes things and everything's fine at the end. 

#3 jjf3rd77

jjf3rd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

They're not bad. You're not even done with the first novel, though? Wow, it took me forever to come up with a title. That's impressive. 

I like the first title the most - Roots of an Empire. It has a political under-taste to it. Aftermath feels like something bad happened in the first novel and this is, literally the aftermath. The third, Memories of Tomorrow, feels like the bright ending where the gang of spunky characters fixes things and everything's fine at the end. 

Glad you liked them. You actually described perfectly what I was feeling when I created the titles. These titles were easy for me as most titles are. It doesn't take much thinking for me to give something I am working on a title. For me the beginning of this novel was the hardest. As time travel is it's main focus, I could have literally started this anywhere. I have been working on the books since 2009 fleshing out the timeline and the characters. I've been writing the beginning for two years! It's a relief to be this far in such a short amount of time after the beginning was written.

Though this is the first novel I have attempted where characters don't just do this thing to lead to the next thing. I mean yeah that happens in the book, but it's more circular and the mythos layered on top make you question even that! 

#4 daniL

daniL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:38 PM

I would say the one thing about your titles is that, especially taken as a while, they are constructed from VERY common words. you wanna think about something that will make your title stand out- how many other sci fi epics are going to be using the very same phrases?

#5 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:21 AM

I like it.

My mind tells me that the second novel should be extra special since it's just "AFTERMATH" instead of: Roots OF an Empire, or Memories OF tomorrow but that's just me.  

I would say the one thing about your titles is that, especially taken as a while, they are constructed from VERY common words. you wanna think about something that will make your title stand out- how many other sci fi epics are going to be using the very same phrases?

I would tend to agree, but at the same time (after flipping through many of the titles that exist in known and not so known stories) a lot of the titles tend to be common words.  

Maybe his overall title could be Dynasty, and the subs could be not so common words but: Star Wars: The Empire Stikes Back, Star Trek: The Voyage Home, and Back to the Future are all common words.

Not disagreeing with you entirely, though.  Maybe a character name would help like: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan or The Search for Spock

Then you have unusual phrases that could work too such as: Mass Effect or Ghosts of a Distant Past

Now I'm rambling, but I think it could go either way.

#6 daniL

daniL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

What I meant by common is thinking about someone trying to google/search for the title, although that is an excellent point about how common words are part of every title. Stark Trek/Star wars are strong enough search modifiers to make their titles unique. Dynasty isn't that kind of modifier, unless you're looking for the soap opera

#7 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

I really don't know about the whole "Dynasty" thing. 

You know that was a night time soap opera in the 80s that most people over 30 remember.

Some people in the south still wear "Who Shot J.R?" hats the thing was so popular.

Oh wait, that was Dallas...but same thing.

Also, nothing in the title clues me in that it's a sci-fi. 

In fact I immediately assume Historic Fiction, probably military historic fiction.

Also, an aside-  are you trying to publish traditionally?

Extremely hard to get a trilogy deal for a new author. Is there any way that you can make it a stand-alone with series potential?

Just some things to think about as you are writing and planning.

#8 jjf3rd77

jjf3rd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

What I meant by common is thinking about someone trying to google/search for the title, although that is an excellent point about how common words are part of every title. Stark Trek/Star wars are strong enough search modifiers to make their titles unique. Dynasty isn't that kind of modifier, unless you're looking for the soap opera

Well actually the novels deal with how commonplace time travel has become in this world and how society deals with it. So it definitely does have that soap opera kinda vibe. I do have another working title in mind for it, but for now this is the one that sticks. 

#9 jjf3rd77

jjf3rd77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:33 PM

I really don't know about the whole "Dynasty" thing. 

You know that was a night time soap opera in the 80s that most people over 30 remember.

Some people in the south still wear "Who Shot J.R?" hats the thing was so popular.

Oh wait, that was Dallas...but same thing.

Also, nothing in the title clues me in that it's a sci-fi. 

In fact I immediately assume Historic Fiction, probably military historic fiction.

Also, an aside-  are you trying to publish traditionally?

Extremely hard to get a trilogy deal for a new author. Is there any way that you can make it a stand-alone with series potential?

Just some things to think about as you are writing and planning.

Funny you should bring that up. It's sort of what I was going for. Basically a harry potter mixed with Dallas type vibe. Except replace magic with time travel and oil barons with politicans. That's my plot in a nutshell. 

Also to answer your other question, I am going to go traditional but that's a long way away. As of now, the story is broken down into three parts, but it can literally have many many more spinoffs if by what you mean the specific trilogy is a hard deal to get but not a mult-book deal that doesn't have a number attached. if that's what you mean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users