#1 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

So, if you're suspected of a serious crime in another country (I'm using France) but have since moved back to the US, would it be proper procedure to just have questioning/detainment at your local cop shop until things progressed? You wouldn't have to go back to that country until you were like under trail right?

So, my MC is under house arrest. Can he use a cell phone?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

I'm not a lawyer, but I think the question depends largely on the jurisdictions involved and the crime alleged. Look up extradition laws.

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

I think if they suspected you then you wouldn't be able to leave their country until they were able to ascertain your role in the crime.

There is a neat series I remember watching sometime ago called locked up abroad. About American citizens being in prison in other countries. Might want to look into that if it could help.

And lastly, if your MC is a felon ... then no way they could ever be another country.

But I could be wrong.

I also agree too that you should look into extradition laws., I remember in recent years an American citizen was accused of murder, tried, found innocent, but then placed back on trial and had to go back to the other country.

Few countries do not have extradition however; Saudi Arabia for instance. During the Bill Cosby thing a Prince was accused of sexual harassment by several maids, he went back home but was due to be in court. The story was pretty much dropped because some other crap around the world happened.

#4 addie.cass

addie.cass

Addie Cass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've finished my first novel. I am starting a sequel now.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:53 AM

Interpol puts out a warrant --IF there is enough evidence for probably cause to believe he did it.  Although the FBI would probably be the ones to do it, even a local jurisdiction can help with the investigation here.   We can only him under "house arrest" after he's been arrested and a judge ordered it, pending extradition. I believe he can make phone calls from his home. If they're afraid he will call co-conspirators or something, they'd hold him in jail.  I've never heard of someone on house arrest in that situation, but I do think a judge can order it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users