Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

I have the following scene: cadets are standing and waiting for high ranked officer to arrive. My question is: will a commander with a lower rank say something (and everyone will stand at attention...)? What will he say?

#2 DocScurlock

DocScurlock

Doc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have not been published and have no interest in self publishing.

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:59 AM

Hi,

I have the following scene: cadets are standing and waiting for high ranked officer to arrive. My question is: will a commander with a lower rank say something (and everyone will stand at attention...)? What will he say?

Depending on the situation....maybe.

In Boot, NTC, Etc. There may be a prelim discussion of expectations and the general lowliness of the recruits.

In military colleges there more likely would be a desire to make sure formations were perfect.

As to what is said...I think such language need not be written here.

Mostly it matters why the cadets are gathered and at what stage. (First day of training, weekly inspection, etc.)

#3 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

Depending on the situation....maybe.

In Boot, NTC, Etc. There may be a prelim discussion of expectations and the general lowliness of the recruits.

In military colleges there more likely would be a desire to make sure formations were perfect.

As to what is said...I think such language need not be written here.

Mostly it matters why the cadets are gathered and at what stage. (First day of training, weekly inspection, etc.)

Let's say in military college, first day. Is there something similar to, "Lieutenant blah blah blah, who is also blah blah blah. Atten-tion!" (I mean, at first everybody stands at ease, and a moment before he arrives the higher ranked commander says something, and everybody stands at attention). 

So the question is: what exactly does he say? Well, not exactly, maybe approximately? 

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

What is your POV? 

If you're over the shoulder of a new cadet, they won't have any idea who said what. On the first day, they won't even know how to stand at attention or get into formation. 

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:45 AM

What is your POV? 

If you're over the shoulder of a new cadet, they won't have any idea who said what. On the first day, they won't even know how to stand at attention or get into formation. 

That's right, my story is told from the POV of a new cadet, but that doesn't matter if he has no idea how to stand at attention or what to do, I just want the familiar (he's quoting what's being said and comments that he has no idea what should he do). So I just need this one lineā€¦

#6 michaelmammay

michaelmammay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:19 AM

Yes. If a senior officer is coming, and there is a group of new cadets, someone at a rank between those cadets and the senior officer will get them to attention before or as the senior officer arrives. Also, teaching them to stand at attention is almost literally the first thing that they're going to do. The new ones will still do a pretty sloppy job of it, but they'll try. 

The line that the senior cadet would use would be 'group, attention!' (Or platoon, attention! or Battalion, attention! -- depending on what size the unit was.) When spoken, there is a large pause between the command of preparation 'Group' and the command of execution 'Attention.' Also, the word attention will be accented on the last syllable...so it will sound like AttenSHUN. And when the person says SHUN, that's when everybody snaps into position. 

Reference: I went to the military academy. 

#7 DocScurlock

DocScurlock

Doc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have not been published and have no interest in self publishing.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

My understanding from a friend who attended a military college in the 60's was similar to what's been said. According to him...

"YouBunchOfF***ingSmacksLookLikeWhaleSh**! NowWhenIGiveYouSmackheadKnobsAF***ingCommand YOU-SNAP-TO-IT! Company.......Atten---SHUN!"

#8 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:57 PM

Watch the ears open eyeballs click videos....lots of info. You'll notice how they're standing at attention within seconds at minute 3 they learn what it is.

A nice little welcome speech

Here's some more intensity for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_PeamfAzeo

What sets Marines apart from everyone else (other than their discipline) is that all Marines are basic riflemen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users