#1 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:14 AM

It's starting next month....here's the link:

http://sioneaeschlim...-p2p16.html?m=1

Anyone doing this??

#2 adr90

adr90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:"The Gods' Wager," short story published by New Realms Magazine

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:17 AM

I am! I plan to start querying in a few days, but I might as well do contests to keep from overthinking the query wait time.

You?

#3 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

We must be on the same timeline :)

I plan to send out my first wave of queries by the end of next week (goal is before 10/1).

Then yes, I am going to attempt #Pit2Pub. The only reason I joined Twitter was because it seems the entire publishing world is on Twitter, so I might as well use it!

I am so nervous about querying...

#4 adr90

adr90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:"The Gods' Wager," short story published by New Realms Magazine

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:12 AM

Me, too! #Pitchwars is the only reason I joined twitter, and now I've found that the entire publishing world is there.

I'm so nervous, too! I sent out a batch of 8 two days ago (10 total, including two from last week) and now I've discovered I'm bad a rejection AND waiting! 

Are you going to do nightmare on query street? I think I'm going to participate in most of the contests to keep an active profile on twitter, meet other writers, and try to distract myself from the waiting game.

#5 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

Good luck ladies. Last February's #pit2pub is how I got published, and yesterday the book hit #1 in its category in Australia. It CAN happen to you, too.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#6 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

OMG that is my dream Bill!

#7 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

What in the world is nightmare on query street? I think I can handle one contest at a time. If my queries fail and I fail at Pit2Pub then I'll do Pitch wars...

Me, too! #Pitchwars is the only reason I joined twitter, and now I've found that the entire publishing world is there.

I'm so nervous, too! I sent out a batch of 8 two days ago (10 total, including two from last week) and now I've discovered I'm bad a rejection AND waiting!

Are you going to do nightmare on query street? I think I'm going to participate in most of the contests to keep an active profile on twitter, meet other writers, and try to distract myself from the waiting game.

#8 adr90

adr90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

http://www.michelle4...ery-street.html

I think I've seen some old posts by Michelle around here, back when she was in the query trenches. It's really nice to see old posts about people biting their nails, and now see them established and running contests for the rest of us.

#9 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:24 PM

OMG that is my dream Bill!

I mentioned it not to blow my own horn, but to let others know that yeah, it really can happen. I'm just a regular guy, 60 years old, not social media savvy, not a computer geek or any of that. I'm a historian who loves watching TV and reading. I have been a writer for forty years, yes, but had not written fiction since 1986. Seriously.

A year ago I had a mammoth first draft manuscript that would eventually have to be cut in half. Now it's exceeding my wildest dreams. This site got me started.

Get your book published or do it yourself, but be aware that the REAL work starts when you market the book. If you want success, you will have to be relentless and shameless in your marketing.

Coincidentally I'm writing a short book on my experiences. (:

PS: I don't have an agent.

#10 Ms-Q

Ms-Q

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I want this. I haven't had trouble getting line and copyediting feedback. Good story structure feedback is so rare. A lot of people can spot a pacing issue but can't articulate what's going wrong. Even fewer know how to fix it.

They've got a very specific format they want for the query (they explicitly want a biography) so I'll have to re-work mine.

Anyway: good luck, everyone.

#11 moonim

moonim

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:11 PM

Don't stress too much about getting your query to their specific format. My bio line was literally one sentence? I never went into depth about it, and they also seem to highlight the "one line pitch" at the start, and I don't think I did that either. I've been in (god, if I remember right) three of these contents, including P2P16 in march, one of Michelle's maybe last year, and another before that on Miss Snark's first victims, each with a different manuscript. 

Just realize getting in has a lot more to do with your query clicking with someone than anything else. And they are good opportunities, but at the same time, don't expect something magical to happen.The feedback I got during P2P with my editor helped me realize something important I needed to further develop in my manuscript, but it was kind of a weird by-product of something she noted about names in my manuscript. So, its weird, but, I would just say, don't expect to get into one of these and have an editor or mentor transform your manuscript by magic -- they'll try to point you in the right direction, but a lot of the magic is going to have to come from you. They are so busy with other things, sometimes too, the feedback they can offer you is only so much.

Also know that, you can get in, and get no agent requests. You can get in and get a few agent requests that you never hear back from. ETC.

For me these contests were always a way to see if I was ready to query, and to try to get some feedback to look at my work with a closer eye -- and that you will get!

(also a side note, idk if P2P changed, but the agent round was handled VERY strangely. Contest winners were kept private and no ninja agents were allowed. Then no communication happened between me/the authors, and the agents who requested. I sent the stuff to my editor, they sent it to the contest host, and then they sent it to the agents. IT was really weird and confusing, and I hope they changed some of that.)

#12 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

Don't stress too much about getting your query to their specific format. My bio line was literally one sentence? I never went into depth about it, and they also seem to highlight the "one line pitch" at the start, and I don't think I did that either. I've been in (god, if I remember right) three of these contents, including P2P16 in march, one of Michelle's maybe last year, and another before that on Miss Snark's first victims, each with a different manuscript. 

Just realize getting in has a lot more to do with your query clicking with someone than anything else. And they are good opportunities, but at the same time, don't expect something magical to happen.The feedback I got during P2P with my editor helped me realize something important I needed to further develop in my manuscript, but it was kind of a weird by-product of something she noted about names in my manuscript. So, its weird, but, I would just say, don't expect to get into one of these and have an editor or mentor transform your manuscript by magic -- they'll try to point you in the right direction, but a lot of the magic is going to have to come from you. They are so busy with other things, sometimes too, the feedback they can offer you is only so much.

Also know that, you can get in, and get no agent requests. You can get in and get a few agent requests that you never hear back from. ETC.

For me these contests were always a way to see if I was ready to query, and to try to get some feedback to look at my work with a closer eye -- and that you will get!

(also a side note, idk if P2P changed, but the agent round was handled VERY strangely. Contest winners were kept private and no ninja agents were allowed. Then no communication happened between me/the authors, and the agents who requested. I sent the stuff to my editor, they sent it to the contest host, and then they sent it to the agents. IT was really weird and confusing, and I hope they changed some of that.)

I wasn't aware P2P had an agent round. Are you confusing it with another contest? P2P stands for Pitch 2 Publishers and that's how I got my contract and sale. And my editor did magically transform a good MS into a great one.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but your experience with P2P may have been when it was in a different form than now. If there are agents involved I'm not aware of it.

#13 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

There are agents involved. The woman who runs it is an agent at Corservo now. The first round is today and until noon tomorrow. If one of the editors picks your novel, then you spend the month of November editing it with the editor who picks you for the next round, which is pitching the manuscript to the board of agents.

It's like The Voice for authors on Twitter where the editors are the stars, the agents are the judges, and you're the contestant.

But no stage, or lights, or film crew...but probably an agent and almost certainly a small press if you win - one of the small presses seems to be signing all the winners.

I have already gotten awesome help from the community in polishing my query for it, going to post the update on query critiques.

But whether you get an agent or the small press it looks like you'll wind up with a better package to present to agents, because your first pages, query, and synopsis are paid special attention by a pro editor.

It's open from 12 noon today to 12 noon tomorrow.

#14 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:37 PM

There are agents involved. The woman who runs it is an agent at Corservo now. The first round is today and until noon tomorrow. If one of the editors picks your novel, then you spend the month of November editing it with the editor who picks you for the next round, which is pitching the manuscript to the board of agents.

It's like The Voice for authors on Twitter where the editors are the stars, the agents are the judges, and you're the contestant.

But no stage, or lights, or film crew...but probably an agent and almost certainly a small press if you win - one of the small presses seems to be signing all the winners.

I have already gotten awesome help from the community in polishing my query for it, going to post the update on query critiques.

But whether you get an agent or the small press it looks like you'll wind up with a better package to present to agents, because your first pages, query, and synopsis are paid special attention by a pro editor.

It's open from 12 noon today to 12 noon tomorrow.

Huh. Then it has changed radically from the contest I entered in February.

#15 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

Yes, it is now in full swing. I have never been so addicted to a twitter feed before in my life!

#16 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

Me too and it is so refreshing to get real feedback from pros instead of a form letter or a request that doesn't later yield feedback. Learning a lot reading the #tenqueries #p2p16 feed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users