2 replies to this topic

#1 EthanAdams

EthanAdams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I am not published but I did trip and stumble into a publisher, Torquere, a short time ago. I have a publishing date of Feb 1, 2017. It can't come soon enough - I can't say the same for the edit requests from the publisher though.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

Good morning,

I have to ask you guys what you think because I think this idea is awesome and I'm prone to flights of fancy.

Backstory:

I have a novel named DiAngelo and was discovered by a publisher before I ever got an agent. My publisher is small, has a 1 woman marketing team and probably like most/all publishers, asks for me to help promote my own work, build a following, la dee da.  I'm cool with that. <shameless plug>@3thanAdams</shameless plug>.

Now I thought, wouldn't it be awesome to build a book trailer to help promote my novel - a paranormal thriller. I am nearing a time where I'll likely have to pay 4,000$ to pull this off. So naturally doubt and all his friends, mistrust, low self-esteem and their brother fearof failure are visiting for an extended period of time.

What are YOUR thoughts on this idea for a "book trailer". My mantra for success is 'do what no one else does, go where no one else goes". I carried this over to my trailer idea.

I am going to have 3 videos of 3 situations which end up being interviews with characters in my novel after the book is finished. The first 3 are of police trying to discover how one of their officers ends up in the hospital at the end of the book and it leads the officer to main characters. The second set of three are reporter interviews where they go to the protagonist's home, Mr. Bad's lair, and so on. The 3rd set of 3 are soliloquies. Through the videos are elements of paranormal.

My next step is to release these all one week apart from each other leading up to the publishing date of Feb 1st.

The videos never hit upon the main arc of the book - the 7 deadly sins trying to break into the physical realm with psychics there to stop them. The characters never admit to success or failure of challenges they're presented with in the story. This video series exposes character, setting and sub plots that will evolve in book 2 but start with a basis in book 1.

Do you think a trailer which is actually a small story in itself spread over 9 interview-style clips is a good or bad idea? Why? My fear is that people might expect a traditional movie trailer but I'm thinking a mid-book story that feeds from book 1 and feeds into book 2 would be better.

Time to get some sleep. Please forgive the grammatical and typographical errors as they're in my nature to include when I'm writing at 2:23 am.

Cheers and have a great day.

Ethan.

#2 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

I think it's a wonderful idea, but it certainly isn't something no one has done before.  You can search all through the interwebs and find book trailers and the like. I have a friend that just finished shooting a trailer for a period piece novel about how citizens of a community murdered a notorious drug dealer.  

I would definitely work hard on scripting the trailer though.  Issues in production quality can easily be ignored if the script (even if there is no dialogue you need a script) is solid.

#3 EthanAdams

EthanAdams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I am not published but I did trip and stumble into a publisher, Torquere, a short time ago. I have a publishing date of Feb 1, 2017. It can't come soon enough - I can't say the same for the edit requests from the publisher though.

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Great advice!

Have you heard of the trailer being done as a series of character interviews designed to give away sub plots in the first novel? I am hoping that a number of small releases (9) done weekly leading up to the publishing date will help attract an audience and it's this thinking I'm very curious about. Could this be a 'thing' or is there evidence somewhere that says 'nope, you're shooting yourself in the face there'

A guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users