Disclaimer

Photo

Women's Fiction Query That Got Me Two Offers of Representation

Chick Lit Fiction Commercial Fiction Womens Fiction Romance Offbeat/Quirky Humor/Satire

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dylanh

Dylanh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:13 PM

Disclaimer: This query is a few years old. I sent out close to ninety queries, received multiple requests, and got two offers of representation. The book didn't end up selling, but it was quite a ride and hopefully can help someone sending out queries in the same genre.

Dear Agent:

Adrian Lexley is going to be just fine, damn it.  True, her fiancé jilted her moments before they were to wed.  And he began dating a supermodel look alike a mere three weeks later.  But Adrian can cope.  She can more than cope.  She is going to surgically remove her (jilting, supermodel dating) ex fiancé from her heart and move on with her life.  And to help other women out there, she’s going to write all about it in her debut how-to novel, How To Surgically Remove Him From Your Heart (Without The Surgery).  After all, she’s a successful journalist and dating columnist.  She’s certain that getting over her fiancé and moving on with her life will be a breeze.  Right?

Wrong.  Adrian’s road from heartbreak to a new beginning is hardly a smooth one.  Not only does she have to deal with her ex’s new relationship with a Gisele look alike, but she discovers disturbing revelations about his behavior prior to their non wedding.  And she’s just a tad (OK, a lot) jealous of her divorced parents' new relationships -- her father’s upcoming nuptials, and her mother's Demi Moore-esque hot new romance with a much younger man.  And she has to work with the devastatingly handsome yet exceedingly arrogant (in love with himself) best selling author Jackson Taylor on an article for her magazine.  And despite the fact that she dates a gorgeous British man as her Rebound, she really can’t get the egocentric (so so wrong for her) Jackson out of her head.  Adrian soon comes to realize that it's going to take more than a simple How To guide to tackle the complex realm of matters of the heart.

My published clips have appeared in _____ and _______.  But more importantly, I’ve successfully removed a couple of guys (without the surgery) from my heart. 

How To Surgically Remove Him From Your Heart (Without The Surgery) is complete at 94,000 words.  If you're interested, I’d be happy to send the manuscript over.  Thanks so much for your time and consideration.  I look forward to your response.  

#2 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

This was really insightful! Thanks! Sorry it didn't sell, but congrats on the agent! Most never even get that far.

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chick Lit, Fiction, Commercial Fiction, Womens Fiction, Romance, Offbeat/Quirky, Humor/Satire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users