Disclaimer

Photo

Do you follow everyone who follows you?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: You get followed, so you...? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

You're following me! Now I'll:

1. Follow back automatically (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Follow, but only if I think you're cool (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Follow, but only if you have ANYTHING to do with writing (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. No f'n way will I follow you, you spambot! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Wouldn't follow you if you were Gene Hackman leading me off the S.S. Posideon (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

Just curious. I don't follow everyone. Certainly not the guy who's obviously some sort of shill for the latest in rehab programs. (and how the fuck do they KNOW????)

Personally, I feel sorta, just a tad GUILTY for not following back, but I just can't bring myself to following blindly everyone who follows me, and how the fuck can I track all this anyway???? I have only like 400 followers and I'm lost, how do people manage 4000 followers!!?!?!

*sigh*, I'm just not big on Da Twit.

What's your criteria for following? Do you have one?

I try to stay with people that have something to do with with writing, or the occasional musician (like Loscil, who does FANTASTIC ambient work).

Just curious, thanks.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,470 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

When someone I don't know follows me, I take a look at their feed and decide. Sometimes there'll be something in their profile that tells me, "Ooh, should follow!" More often, I'll follow or not follow based on their last several tweets. Were there twelve tweets in the last hour about deciding what to eat for dinner? (And I mean general tweets, not replies, so *all* followers see it.) Are the majority of their tweets throughout the day useful, interesting, and/or entertaining? All that helps me decide whether to click that button.

There's a further level of screening, though. I also use lists. People whose tweets I'm most interested in seeing regularly (or most paranoid about ever missing one) get added to a list. I usually use TweetDeck, and I have it set up to *only* show my lists, mentions, DMs, and a couple searches. So I only occasionally see tweets from non-listed people.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 richard p

richard p

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two self-published books: "Battles and other stories" and "Only The Lonely" (a novel) on Amazon.com.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

So far, I follow everyone who follows me on my blog. (I don't tweet yet.) I follow a lot of people who don't follow me back, and I don't mind. If what I'm posting on my blog doesn't interest them, then why should they follow me? But, I want to follow people who follow me. I try to read everything they post, at least by scanning it in my email or Google Friend Finder or on Network Blogs on Facebook. Of course, I like blogging, so it's a pleasure for me to read other people's posts. I feel as if I know them. And I like to post comments if I can (which has been very difficult lately, because Blogger won't let me post a lot of my comments lately). I'm retired now, although I'm raising my two-year-old grandson, which is almost a full-time job, so I can check these things often. If I was working full-time, no way could I do it.

http://richard-writi...ng.blogspot.com
Richard P Hughes a.k.a. R Patrick Hughes

#4 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

I'm like RC and Richard, but I like to talk to my followers too, so if I talk to someone I don't follow fairly regular (once or twice a day) I will follow after a while (a week or so). I don't have a lot of time to spend online, so I want to make sure the people I do follow, at least want to chat. :blush:

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#5 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

I try to follow everyone who follows me, so far. I do have a few people lately who have followed, but I haven't yet had the chance to follow back on my blog. That's only because when I try, there's no link in their profile yet for their blog...so the only way to follow back would be to find out how they found me and see if they've posted their blog link there.

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#6 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

I try and follow other writers/artists or individuals that look like they have similar interests. As for trying to keep track of what everyone's saying, at this point, I can't. And yes, I do feel guilty, though I'd also feel guilty if I didn't follow people back, just for the sake of trying to keep up with what people are saying. To try and remedy this, I use tweetdeck and set up a ton of searches, and just try to comment on anything I think is interesting, whether it's someone I follow, or someone I've come across in a hashtag. I also try and remind myself, that the reason I'm on twitter is to build a platform, so that when I have a book to promote, there are people to announce it to. If I'm not following people, then I've just narrowed down that group.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

My approach is more like Cali's. Since I basically work on three different accounts (one writing-related, one work-related, one that I share with my boss and one of my staff writers that's also writing-related but attached to our blog), I simply don't have a whole lot of time to manage my writing-related Twitter stream. But I do feel guilty, in part because I'm basically a re-tweeter. If I find something interesting, I spread it along, and I need to follow people in order to do that well. I also try to keep my "signal to noise ratio" down by following fewer than follow me.

As Cali said, Twitter is a platform-building tool. But the thing is, I think of it more like that scene in The Life of Brian when Brian falls onto a prophet and has to hide in plain sight of the Romans by prophesying. People pass by these prophets, maybe hearing a word or two and then moving along. "OH, he's making it up as he goes along!"

So, I don't know how well it builds the platform, but it's a valuable enough tool to at least keep working with until the next best thing comes along.

#8 Eric Maskell

Eric Maskell

Never give up, Never surrender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

I usually follow people that follow me. The ones I don't are usually the people trying to sell the "get rich in a week" video or something like that. If they are actual people I will follow them if they follow me. But in a sense I do that with people I follow. I don't just click everyone so that I may get some followers out of the deal. I follow people that I find interesting.

Although, some of them seem to have WAY too much time on their hands and tweet about EVERYTHING.

E

#9 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,770 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

I pretty much follow all writerly types & book bloggers who follow me. I don't generally follow anyone else. I like to RT writing stuff too. I don't spend a lot of time on it, and I don't feel guilty anymore. :tongue: I just do a quick skim to see if anyone is promoting their blog or good writing links and then I RT.

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

I've recently learned about something called "twitter karma," which basically helps you see at once who you're following and who's following you. http://dossy.org/twitter/karma I believe. FYI: apparently it's not fond of Internet Explorer.

#11 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

I've recently learned about something called "twitter karma," which basically helps you see at once who you're following and who's following you. http://dossy.org/twitter/karma I believe. FYI: apparently it's not fond of Internet Explorer.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I feel better about it all. Today, at least. :laugh:

And thanks for that link, MWS!

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#12 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

I follow back anyone who looks human. It's quite easy since I sometimes go weeks between logging in and I can log out as soon as I'm done posting. I've found twitter only annoys me when I'm using tweetdeck.... the pop-ups make it harder to ignore annoying people who use twitter for public real-time conversations where I'm only privy to a small portion. Here I thought it was a micro-blogging tool, when it seems much more like a chat room at times.

(Saying that so bluntly probably isn't kosher, but you know you were thinking it, too.)

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#13 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Eli, you can turn off the notifications, or pick and choose what you want to get notified about. Makes it much less annoying. It's under the settings.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#14 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

I used to follow back everyone but then I couldn't keep up and didn't like some of the people so now I only follow back rarely. it's not required.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

#15 ValentinaBlood

ValentinaBlood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

There could be lots of reasons why I unfollow. I use this app called manage filter. I check for users who are following me, if they aren't, I unfollow them. 

If they haven't been active in a while, I unfollow them. However, just because a person isn't relevant to writing, doesn't mean I won't follow. If they are funny, I'll follow. People like that are easier to engage with and are just as likely to be readers or writers. 

Yours Truly,
Valentina Blood 

Check out my site! 

#16 LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I am mainly a self-published writer, and looking to break into hybrid publishing.

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:33 AM

I've had to cut back on who I follow back, and eliminate some I follow that haven't followed me back. I mainly follow people in other subject matters these days in specific areas other than writing I'm interesting in.

I tried following everyone who followed me back, but that's how I ended up with like a bunch of self-publishers doing nothing but promoting their book on my feed. I barely even use twitter any more cause that thing drives me nuts.

Sarah Negovetich is amazingly nice though and does a super helpful agent advice blog.

Meadow Of Gold: Uploaded Fairy Saga -- Satanic Futurism -- Novella -- Complete

Simply Pace -- Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Beyond The Dreamer's Edge -- New Mainstream/Magic Realism -- Novella -- Editing

Hemato Tomato -- Guillotine Western/Magic Realism -- Short Story -- Complete

#17 Andrea Lambert

Andrea Lambert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:My first book, JET SET DESOLATE, was published by Future Fiction London in 2009. My second, a book of poetry called LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN, was published by valeveil in 2009. Lost Angelene published my chapbook, G(U)ILT, in 2011. My poetry has been anthologized in HAUNTING MUSES, WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES, OFF THE ROCKS #16: AN ANTHOLOGY OF GLBT WRITING, THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK VOL. 1, YOU’VE PROBABLY READ THIS BEFORE, and CHRONOMETRY. My work has been published in 3:AM Magazine, The Fanzine, Entropy, HTMLGiant, ENCLAVE, Queer Mental Health, Five:2:One Magazine and elsewhere.

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:12 AM

I've amended my Twitter follow-backs.

When I have time to actually look at who follows me I follow back writers, artists, publishers, agents & people who once I look at their feed I am entertained. I don't follow back obvious prostitutes/cam-girls, people who look like con artists, people selling book services or endlessly flogging their e-book, or entrepreneurial kool-aid.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndreaLamber

GoodReads Author bio: https://www.goodread....Andrea_Lambert

Amazon author bio: https://www.amazon.c...ine_cont_book_1

JET SET DESOLATE from Future Fiction London on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/0578016257

LORAZEPAM & THE VALLEY OF SKIN: EXTRAPOLATIONS ON LOS ANGELES from valeveil: http://www.valeveil.se/posts/196

HAUNTING MUSES from Bedazzled Ink on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/194383752X

WRITING THE WALLS DOWN: A CONVERGENCE OF LGBTQ VOICES from Trans-Genre Press: http://trans-genre.n...the-walls-down/

THE L.A. TELEPHONE BOOK, VOL. 1 from ARRAS.NET: http://www.arras.net/?page_id=658

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users