2 replies to this topic

#1 dralbright

dralbright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've been published in a number of online publications as well as a few print magazines.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:27 AM

I'm writing a narrative non-fiction book that's going to be largely based on interviews (think something in the vein of Mary Roach or Jon Ronson). I'm wondering about sample chapters in my book proposal . . . how should I go about creating them? Should I start interviewing people before the query process, risking the need for changes later, or only submit parts of the book that don't require interviews? I'm going to need to do them eventually, so I'm happy to do them, but I'm wondering how much serious work I should put into that part of the writing process before even submitting a query.

Any thoughts?

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

I don't know anything about non-fiction books, but 2 thoughts:

1) Of course you're going to make changes from your sample to the finished product, so don't sweat it.

2) Get a good camera and video tape your interviews. Books with companion documentaries do very well. You don't have to be a video genius, just make sure faces are visible and the audio is well recorded and you're set. Worry about editing and bells & whistles later.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

R.S. has good ideas there; I recommend the videos.

In regard to nonfiction: unlike fiction and memoir, you're not expected to have the book complete already. That said, putting the proposal together will take some time. There will likely be other books in your field already -- which tells agents that there's a viable market -- and they may want you to revise, cut, or add elements. That's all ok. Think of your proposal as a business proposal, because that's what it is. You're looking for a business partner.

The proposal helps an agent and/or a publisher assess your thinking process as well as your knowledge of your field. Sample chapters will be a better way than a query (which is also part of the proposal) to assess your writing ability and voice. As RS said, don't sweat the likelihood of changes. Your book will almost certainly leave a lot on the cutting room floor, but those scraps might also be useable for ancillary projects. One chief difference between nonfiction and fiction is you're expected to be a bit of an expert in nonfiction. The agent will want to know why YOU should be the author of this book. Having a great idea is fine, but they're a dime a dozen. Having an author who's recognized as an expert in the field carry that idea over the threshold is what can sell books.

I recommend conducting those interviews and writing a couple chapters as part of the proposal. If those end up being unused, then adapt them to your blog or website or as something to include later as an incentive to potential readers later. You can make an unpublished interview into a giveaway when readers sign up for your blog, for example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users