Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

I'm halfway through the third revision of a steampunk/pirate/romance I've been working on for about two years. It's still untitled. I had a burst of creativity yesterday while finishing up a chapter. 

One theme in the book is how the main character evolved from her pampered lifestyle to being able to do things on her own, taking charge, and going outside of the "uppity" women's world of clothing and such. In the book there's a saying that women like that are "peacocks" because they're all looks and no mind. 

But I am terrible at titles. They usually fall out of the sky an smack me in the head, but this one's eluding. 

I've played with some words, like "Mech Peacock," or "The Peacock and the Mechanic," "Pirates and Peacocks," "Bronze Birds," "Metallic Peacock," "Not Just a Peacock," but none of them feel right. 

Thoughts?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:16 AM

Not a fan of "Mech Peacock"; the sound of it is just so abrasive to me. The Peacock and the Mechanic sounds like a short story to me; for what it's worth, the title also reminds me of Juno and the Paycock, a famous play by Sean O'Casey.

Perhaps just "The Peacock" with a pirate ship on the cover. As a symbol, it's fairly well traveled territory, but it might work.

Also, the theme reminds me of the famous YA book from many decades ago, Captains Courageous, which isn't a bad thing. It's perhaps time to revisit such a story. You might be able to capture a moment. Keep at it!

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Maybe. I'm finishing up a revision of the first draft this weekend and hopefully within the next few revisions something will pop out at me. 

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

Okay, I know this post is a bit old, but I didn't want to waste space and make a new on. I've had time to ruminate about the story. I've come up with these: 

The Gauntlet of the Gods

Addie Temple and the Gauntlet of the Gods

Gilded Gauntlet of the Gods

Addie Temple and the Gilded Gauntlet

Addie Temple and the Gilded Gauntlet of the Gods

I like the last one, but does anyone feel like it's too wordy? I did a quick Amazon search for steampunk titles, and they're all so corny. Most of them have "steam" or some kind of metal in the title. Not that I think that's a bad thing. 

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:55 AM

I think I like the second one best. "Gilded Gauntlet of the Gods" just seems a little too alliterative, like you're trying too hard to be clever. I could also see Addie Temple and the Gilded Gauntlet. In fact, as a steampunk novel, that might work better than Gauntlet of the Gods, which seems a bit more in the fantasy/apocalypse realm to me.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:56 AM

BTW, I think you did a better thing by just bringing this thread back into circulation. It's better for folks to see the running thread so they can get a sense of where the conversation has been; if you started a new one, one of us moderators would probably weave them together anyway.

#7 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

I agree. I like to see the evolution. 

I've stuck to Addie Temple and the Gilded Gauntlet, or at least just "the gilded gauntlet." It fits.

Thank you all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users