Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

So I got an R&R from an agent with a lot of good notes that I think I can tackle in revision. The revisions are not insubstantial, but it falls a bit short of an actual overhaul and rewrite. The agent said there "was no expiration date" for her enthusiasm to see a second draft, but of course, let's be real--if I take two years it doesn't say good things about me. What is your timeline for a significant revision, especially from an R&R?  Whats a reasonable range I should shoot for where it won't appear that I've rushed, but I can definitely work and produce materials?

#2 GwMartins

GwMartins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

I read somewhere that anywhere from three months to a year is fair game. I think it was an interview with an agent, so that may of course be super subjective! 

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:56 PM

I also think you have to consider your own editing process and how long your revisions typically take. You want to make sure you give yourself enough time to do them right. From my own experience, a major revision takes me about three to six months, depending on the severity of the changes, how much of the novel is affected, and general life.

If you're not sure how long this sort of thing will take you, you can break the process down into steps and time the first couple, then make an educated guess how long it will take you to do the whole thing.

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

I would say, think about how long you think it should take, then double it.

When I'm directing actors, and I give them a note (revision), the first time they go through the scene they "show me the note." That's a bad thing. Yes, I'm glad they understand what I've said, but I want them to make it their own.

Then again, some of the best actors I've worked with incorporate the note into their own work seamlessly on the first try, which is awesome.

Lean on your hardest beta readers. The ones that won't let you get away with telling. You won't get a second shot at this.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users