3 replies to this topic

#1 bethanypeep

bethanypeep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am not published but I do have a short story on a blog and a few writing awards

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

Hello,
I recently had a request for more pages on my query with a small and rather new agency. I want to send more pages in but my CP says it's unwise. Any suggestions? I've done my research and they're releasing their first books soon by the president and illustrator and such. They seem trust worthy but do I send the pages or do I sit this one out?

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 18 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

There's no harm in sending the pages. The decision comes later if they like them.

Remember, PAY NOTHING for publishing... unless you just want to have some copies for your friends and family and think it's worth it.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#3 Gruffbane

Gruffbane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published a children's book and won two awards from Writers of the Future

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

I've had some interest recently from small presses as well. Some of them have bestselling authors and if one in particular offers it would be extremely tempting. A few are reputable, but a mega-famous author just told me that I might want to self-publish a first novel rather than small press if I can't get into the NYC majors.

I'm not sure why, he hasn't elaborated yet. I wonder if it has something to do with not being able to transfer to a major if it does really well?

#4 daniL

daniL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

Considering you don't have to agree to anything yet, I'd say go for it! Research the small press, try to see if anyone here/other sites have reviewed working with them, and if they do make an offer, go over that contract with a fine tooth comb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users