#1 SarahWriter27

SarahWriter27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

After sending my query with the synopsis and the first chapter to an agent, I received this email in response:

"Wow, what an opening!  I'd love to read the full of this.  I love the levels of intrigue and mystery built in, and your protagonist is a girl after my own heart.  Please sent the full as a Word attachment, and if possible, I'd appreciate a one-month exclusive.  I look forward to reading more@  Can't wait to dig in."

Naturally, I was blown away!  This is amazing.

Just a question though: Aren't agents supposed to have a poker face when requesting manuscripts?  I am just so amazed that she already told me what she liked about the first chapter, and I wonder if I should have as much hope of her liking the entire manuscript as I do.  I've researched this agent and discovered that she always requests an exclusive, so that's not different.  But I'm just really surprised by her comments.  Has anyone else had this experience before?

The agent is Heather Alexander from Pippin Properties.

Thanks for any input!

#2 RachelThijssen

RachelThijssen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Had two previous contracts with boekscout-yo, a POD publisher. Two books were published there.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

I haven't had this experience. Given that she said 'wow, what an opening!', you probably have a great opening line. Consider yourself lucky and most of all, don't worry about it! Honestly, the most frustrating part of querying is when you receive an email saying 'thank you for sending us your query. Unfortunately, we are not interested', with no explanation whatsoever. I hope you'll receive more of these requests!

Rachel.

#3 moonim

moonim

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

It happens. I queried an agent (unknowingly) when they were closed to queries. They responded the next day saying, I know I'm closed, but I loved this, send me the full.

Be proud! Its a great feeling. 

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:58 PM

First, congrats.

Second, to answer your question about the poker face... NO!

Your agent is going to be your first fan that's not a friend or relative. You want her to be jumping out of her skin with excitement over your writing so she can pass that feeling onto editors.

So, send the MS. Tell her you've got queries out to other agents (if you do), but if any other full requests come in, you'll hold them off for a month (which isn't a long time in this business).

Make note of the date and touch back in a month.

Good luck.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 RosieSkye

RosieSkye

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:17 PM

Congrats!

There's no "supposed to" when it comes to agents' responses - it just depends on their individual personalities.  Some are more straightforward and businesslike, while others are more casual and personable.  Just be glad someone is excited about your writing!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users