Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Until today I hadn't really heard of Wattpad, but I just read an article about it on Wrtier's Digest. Am I missing out by not reading stories there or publishing my stories there? 

Of course, the writer of the article made it sound as though if I didn't published on there RIGHT NOW I'd never be successful in life, but the other part of me thinks that I shouldn't post my work there for free - the work that I've slaved over for years - so people can just have it for free. However, I understand the usefulness in building a platform and audience. 

Is it okay to post an excerpt? Does that sound like a teasing way to advertise? 

Anyone with experience with Wattpad have any sage advice? 

#2 jennimrose

jennimrose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

I'm completely new here (literally, my first post) but I do have some Wattpad experience. 

I think it really is going to all depend on you.  Wattpad is chock full of One Direction fan fiction that hits the top of the Wattpad charts all of the time. It is overrun with werewolf stories and vampire romances that are truly terrible. 

On the other hand, there are some very well read adults there as well. You can usually find them in book clubs where you get the opportunity to have people reading your work and giving you well thought out and honest advice.  Not all book clubs are great - some are full of "I like this chapter" and other useless drivel, but there are good ones.  If it ends up being something you look into let me know, I know a few good ones with some very masterful authors that critique like bosses.

I can't say I've had any major "blow up" success over there.  But I've found other authors that are wonderful people that I connected with.  What makes people on Wattpad a success is really consistency.  Posting one or two chapters and then leaving them isn't going to get anyone to read your story.  Once they see that they won't get an ending, they're not going to come back.  

#3 RachelThijssen

RachelThijssen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Had two previous contracts with boekscout-yo, a POD publisher. Two books were published there.

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:31 PM

I've heard that being succesful on there means that you have to put a lot of time and effort in getting noticed. That sounds pretty obvious, but you'll have to do things like read and comment on other people's stories, which takes time. I don't have that kind of time, lol. And I agree that there's lots of (often bad) fanfiction on Wattpad, as well as werewolves and vampires that seem to have survived the craze (Twilight and such).

What I'm saying is that you can't just post something and wait until someone reads it. You'd be very lucky if anyone would suddenly be interested. Don't get discouraged though, because we're talking about a huge platform full of stories here.

Let's just say I don't have any success on there and I respect anyone who does get noticed on Wattpad.

Cheers!

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 10 November 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thanks! That sounds a lot like other fanfiction sites, so that doesn't freak me out. I've spent plenty of time wading through the sands for diamonds. It does sound like a good place to start building a platform, though. I could readers and writing friends.

#5 jennimrose

jennimrose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

In the meantime - my book, despite the fact that it doesn't have a million reads and isn't about a bad boy, billionaire or even better a bad boy billionaire, won a Watty on Wattpad a few weeks ago.  Which, on Wattpad, is a pretty big deal. 

100 winners out of 140,000 entries. My win was based on the readers at Wattpad HQ loving my story. 

There are people over there that are looking for the diamonds in the rough and there is a chance to find an audience.  But again, like anything, takes time and effort. 

#6 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:55 PM

Wow, congratulations! I might published my next story on there first to get a feel for the waters. 

#7 Maranda83

Maranda83

MarandaMilligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

I have wattpad. If you follow me on there my link is https://www.wattpad....er/MarandaCress and I'll return the favor.

Thanks!!

#8 J.J.

J.J.

Science Fiction Novelist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I have tried to self-publish on Amazon but have recently taken down my works to redo covers and some other edits. I plan to release again closer to the beginning of February.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

I agree with everyone has said about Wattpad so far. My experience echoes the same tune. You have to do a lot of reading and commenting to get noticed. I often cited Wattpad, as something like Instagram and Facebook. The site has some pretty helpful information on different genres though which I liked.

#9 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:53 AM

For anything you eventually want traditionally and commercially published, even excerpts, I'd actually advise against posting to Wattpad. Once it's online, it's technically "published," so many agents and editors would no longer be interested. If it's your own self-pubbed work, it's completely up to you.

Sourcebooks Fire acquired several Wattpad favorites, but like J.J. said, it's very hard to get noticed, and there's quite a lot of slush. 

For fanfiction and fun drabble or teasers, it looks good to me. 

There's a similar site called Figment that I enjoyed. It's not quite as popular, but it's a good community.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#10 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Ah, I see. I already write fan fiction else and have gathered a small following. It took a while, too. I don't have a ton of time to spend wading through a slush pile...maybe I'm destined to be an agent one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users