#1 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 11 November 2016 - 04:46 PM

My new project is an epistolary (i.e. journals, letters, etc.) NA dark fantasy/horror novel, and I'm handwriting the rough draft (a sort of "method writing" exercise if you will). There's a lot of magic in the novel (werewolves as black sorcerers and the like), & the main character explains a lot of the magic in his "notebook"—these pages usually have illustrations of the sigils/runes & invocations written in ancient scripts, and a lot of people who've seen the pages (at bars & whatnot haha) get really into them.

So lately I've had this thought that, to add another level of "realism" to the book, that I would include "facsimiles" of these pages alongside the main printed text (the journal entries & letters)...I don't know how to post pictures as examples haha..am I able to here?

Anyway, just a thought.

JJW

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#2 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

I think that's awesome. Since it wasn't really a question I'm assuming that you are going to go with that idea.

Do it.

Especially if you're going to self-publish.

#3 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

Oh no, I want to traditionally publish! Haha..I get that it might be a "harder sell" as far as agents go, but I'm thinking of including the "notebook pages" in the word copy (as a sort of proof-of-concept) a lot of the symbology is really trippy haha & eye-catching

#4 Anna L. Walls

Anna L. Walls

Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I published my first book through AuthorHouse. Since then I tried out a small one-man publishing company and then a mid-level publishing LLC. I have since unpublished all of my books from those companies and I have published them all through CreateSpace, Kindle Direct Publishing, and most recently SmashWords. I am much happier with this arrangement.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:24 PM

Sounds interesting. Depending on what your handwriting looks like, why not make the entire book out of images of what you've written up. Make it all something of a journal. Each page would be a picture of a page you've written.

Find all of my books at:

Amazon - http://www.amazon.co...ls/e/B002E1FOBI

SmashWords - https://www.smashwor...AuthorAnnaWalls

Hope to see you there

#5 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:55 PM

That's an idea for the special edition haha (great minds & all that), AFTER its built up a fanbase. What I'm thinking though is some of the notebook pages which detail the magic in the book (yes, werewolves are also capable of magic in my book haha)—the symbology, invocations, language, etc. (as well as some of the more, shall we say..."frantic" entries as the story progresses) I could take & turn into "facsimiles" of the "real" journal. I wouldn't type them out either, I'd want my readers to be engaged in the sub-creation as it were. :)

& people say they like my handwriting though haha so I don't know.

JJW

#6 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:34 PM

Keep going with your idea, but know that an agent may have reasons to talk you out of it, depending on god-knows what kind production variables would make that difficult for a debut.

#7 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

Hmmm...maybe I can make them deviously crucial to the reading experience, i.e. Certain pieces of information that can't be found anywhere else in the journals/letters....😏

#8 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, Stupefying Stories, and Rampant Loon Press.

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:02 PM

I'm an illustrator, and would be interested in helping out with this project, if you needed anything like that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New Adult, Offbeat/Quirky, Traditional Publishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users