Jump to content

Disclaimer



Photo
- - - - -

Notify Agent of Offer on Different MS?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gibber

Gibber

    Veteran Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

Preface: this is all hypothetical.

 

So I've got a ms out in the query trenches, a few agents have the partial, etc. Business as usual. But then I get a full request on a previous ms (an agent who had it and passed also forwarded it to her colleagues, one of which liked it). What do I tell the other agents (with the current ms) if the previous ms one wants to offer me rep? Again, nothing has happened, but if it does, ???



#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

    I Have Many Skills.

  • Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

First, I would say do nothing until you hear from the agent with the old MS.

 

If that agent comes back with an offer you can either: 1) Accept the offer and then notify the other agents that they need not read your stuff or 2) Tell that agent to hang on for a couple of weeks while you clean up your other submissions, then contact the other agents to say you have an offer and need to hear back from them within that waiting period.

 

Personally, I'd go with #1.


From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

 

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.


#3 Litgal

Litgal

    Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

  • Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

    In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

I would add to what RS said that IF the agent who as the older manuscript offers you should ABSOLUTELY discuss the newer manuscript with him/her before you accept an offer of representation, because presumably you want to know if he/she is behind that as well. If not you will have to consider whether you are willing to set it aside.

Also whether I would pick RS's #1 or #2 depends on where the agents fall in your pecking order. If the one who offers is your top choice than by all means sign away (after showing/revealing idea for second manuscript as noted above). If one of the agents with partials of later manuscript is actually your dream agent, then I would ask the offering agent for 7-14 days to "think it over" and then notify agents with partials at give them a window several days shorter than the time frame you've asked for.


Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users