Disclaimer

Photo

Can a novel be 2 parts of 1 book? And how to write synopsis/query?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

It sounds confusing but let me explain.
I have a original young adult science fantasy novel that was at about 90k words. I realized, after much debate and critiquing, that it belongs in a middle grade genre. So the story is absolutely complete and solid. I have asked myself every, well why did they do this, or why are they going here. It's absolutely solid, but middle grade is 60k at max.

So my question... Can i split 1 book into 2 parts? I have a query written and a synopsis, but if I could get them successfully published id opt to have them produced in a part 1&2 novel rather than separate because they belong as 1.

Does anyone have any insight on how to accomplish this feature?

PS I have tried to cut back on the story, but it leaves humongous plot holes and takes the story apart. I admit I have added 4 scenes that give the reader a taste of what is to come as well as slight question answers that semi explain events that took place.

#2 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:50 PM

You can make it a series BUT ONLY IF (note the caps) each book stands COMPLETELY alone with a full story arc. Otherwise you are not going to place it.

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#3 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

You can make it a series BUT ONLY IF (note the caps) each book stands COMPLETELY alone with a full story arc. Otherwise you are not going to place it.

I agree. Let me explain, since I did this precise thing. About a year ago I came here with a 175k word adult novel to place. I was told to split it, that it was too long, but that each book must stand on its own, as Litgal said. Yikes!

But I did it anyway and sold the first book, which has been a major hit (#1 in Australia twice!). Second book comes out in March.

It's very much worth doing. You will probably have to do some extensive re-writing, but so what?

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#4 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

You both are very helpful and I am extremely grateful! My problem exactly is it's simply too large. This does lead me to needing to create another thread. This definitely solidified my plans to split it up.....
This also creates a sub question in regards to the split. Would both books have same name? Or completely different... (side note: I know books have series ie the Harry Potter thing, but I mean like splitting sorcerer's stone.) splitting a book in half. Their are other books I already wrote that are a continuation but I literally meant like 1 book in half lol

#5 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

It's fine if they have the same title and "part 1" and "part 2" but you might want to query it as just a standalone book first, then explain to possible agents that it definitely has a second part.

But again and it can't be said enough, it HAS to standalone.

#6 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

By querying as a single unit should I state it's a 2 part novel? Or just have 1 novel query and explain later?
I know if I wrote one query for a 2 part novel and it's MG and I put a combined WC of 110k, it may get rejected?

#7 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

Before they even look at the synopsis. Sorry I accidentally sent early. I was going to ask if you have any recommendations as to how to pull this off. I have changed the story a bit to remain self contained, though it's kind of a lord of the Rings feel.

#8 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

55k is usually tops for MG(though I'm not sure how much higher fantasy will get you there). Even fantasy won't get you far enough for 110k words. 

#9 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

Correct that's why I made it a 2 part. It's eight chapters a piece. But the word count isn't solid as I'm rearranging some plot points to make it flow smoothly so it's fluctuating. But each part of the story(1&2) is around 50-55k

#10 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:17 AM

My only concern is how to write a query for this. I don't know if I write 1 query and label it 2 parts or write 2 queries separately for part 1 and then part 2?

#11 Niambi

Niambi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:18 AM

You'll have to write a query for each novel. Since they are standalone, it'll be the same as if you were writing a query for the entire book.

You'll just have to do it for each part, separately. There's nothing wrong with mentioning that there is a second book involved, but the query HAS to be for just the first book.

#12 Vernalire

Vernalire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

That's the thing. The first book has 2 parts. They are semi standalone parts. But it's all book 1. The part 2 takes place literally right after part 1 ends. It's due to the mid grade cap on word count that caused me to split it. Book 2 takes place a year or so after book 1.

Semi explanation... Part 1 Has a plot that's set for the entire part 1 and 2. Part 1 is pursuing a objective then side tracked by something deemed more important. Part 2 is the finish of original objective and a choose a path type thing. They need each other and I'm at the minimum detail for them to make sense.

#13 Niambi

Niambi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Then you'll want to query PART 2 of the book since that's where the plot for the first part rests.

I ran into some trouble with an earlier novel that I shelved. It was complete at 175,000 words and folks didn't even want to edit it.

I cane back to it years later and with new experience and vision pulled it apart to make a novel out of the first 75k words, but I had to add a character that would "explore" the past lives of my original characters.

So would I query and make hooks about the original characters or the new one?
I would center my queries about the new character because she runs constant through the entire story, and HER plot is the central plot of interest.

I'd even start with something as simple as a hook/logline , that way you can sum up the story in two sentences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users