Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:18 PM

Greetings! I'm working on a steampunk/pirate/romance/adventure novel. I've read a few steampunk stories, but I'd like a wider range of input. What are the major tropes and stereotypes you have encountered in steampunk? It seems that in every story I look on on Amazon (research), there's either an airship or scantily clad woman in goggles on the front, and either "metal" or "steam" in the title. I'd like to break the mold a little. 

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

I come bearing a TV Tropes link! (http://tvtropes.org/.../Main/SteamPunk)

A lot of steampunk does feature airships--I'm actually trying to think of one that doesn't and coming up with naught--and advanced tech (though the advancement seems to vary). I've found that steampunk can lean more fantasy or science fiction-y depending on tone and intent and so forth. It seems to be mixed with mannerpunk a lot too, especially the more traditional steampunk based in Victorian England.

I've found steampunk to be a very visual subgenre that lends itself well to visual mediums such as comics. If you haven't checked out Girl Genius (which is a webcomic), it's a slightly less traditional steampunk that I've found to be very enjoyable (and it's won a few Hugo awards as well).

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:46 PM

Ohh....thanks! 

I've noticed that a lot of steampunk is visual. There's plenty of metal/gears/steam descriptions. I do that, too, but I tried to blend it more with the story that's happening. It's not all about the setting - there's a story. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users