KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:00 AM

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but if it isn't please point me to the right forum.

So, I have a friend who is considering self-publishing his book and he was wondering if the genre of his book was right for self-publishing? I know some genres lend themselves better to self-publishing (like romance) than others due to various factors. Anyway, he wrote a NA Urban Fantasy with a LGBT romance with the creature of choice being vampires. He knows vampires are oversaturated when it comes to traditional publishing but he's wondering if it's the same with self-publishing? Any pieces of advice from anyone who has self-published Urban Fantasy? 

Much appreciated! 

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

I know LGBT as a niche market can do very well in urban fantasy (you have to put "lgbt" in your keywords to get into the category), though I don't know the particulars on vampires. I have noticed that they are everywhere (for example, the "angels" category still seems to be mostly full of vampire books) but I couldn't tell you how the sales are on them. I would think that there's probably a pretty decent market for them, but no clue on how easy it is to get noticed.

Urban fantasy is a huge genre, so specializing as much as possible to get into the subcategories helps a bunch.

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Oh, it's over-saturated, too. It's even more so because so many people are writing vampire romance books, trying to hop onto the Twilight-fan train. But, if this friend of yours believes in his book, works to make it a well-told story, then by all means, self-publish. I self-published my urban fantasy because the market in the traditional lanes was too crowded; but after good feedback from agents, I self-published. 

Before you self-publish, query it around to agents. See what happens. If you get some good feedback, you might make it. If you get only form rejection letters, maybe you should take another round of editing or a beta reader. 

Good luck, either way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users