#1 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published in a magazine.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

Hello all!

So, I've decided to release an old novella I'd had sitting on my computer as a Kindle Direct eBook. Normally, I wouldn't consider the self-publishing route, but I figured that, while I'm waiting to hear back from agents on another novel I'm pitching, I might as well get a story out there to the world and (hopefully) make a little money in the process. 

I plan on releasing it sometime this month, although I am not exact as to when, but it'll be relatively soon.

Now, my creative abilities don't venture far from the written word, so when I went into designing potential covers, I was a little bewildered. There was a lot to consider, and I'm trying to take everything into account (i.e. marketing, themes, etc.) and I've finally managed to create one I kinda liked.

Now, It's super simplistic, but I still feel it yields some power. The all-black background and white lettering shows contrast, and the single rose sums up the story very well.

I can't say that this will be the exact cover, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.  I've attached the cover to this post. Let me know what you think!

UPDATE: I've attached a few more covers along with the first

Attached Files

I am Jordan the Ninja, pleased to meet ya.

My first YA Fantasy book YOUTH available on Amazon: tinyurl.com/jk2kx6k 

Twitter: @JordanAdams1128

Instagram: @JordanAdams1128

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#2 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Solstice Publishing Nov 28, 2016

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:47 PM

Not knowing what your story is about its really difficult to make any judgment on the cover.  I like it though, think it's elegant and very eye catching, but a far as what the red rose has in common with a Hymn is beyond me.

Do you have a summary here that I can refer to, maybe I can help you out.  

Andrea Roche

Author: Nights Arose on Amazon

www.Facebook/NightsArose.com

Twitter: @Rose121562

#3 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published in a magazine.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:57 PM

Not knowing what your story is about its really difficult to make any judgment on the cover.  I like it though, think it's elegant and very eye catching, but a far as what the red rose has in common with a Hymn is beyond me.

Do you have a summary here that I can refer to, maybe I can help you out.  

Thank you! Basically, the rose is a huge symbol for the story, since that's what the MC brings to his mother's grave (her name was also Rose) and a lot of the story focuses around his reaction to her death. Hymn, in this story, is a very spiritual town the MC has to go to in order to gain medical treatment. I know that's probably very vague, but I'll try and write a summary soon. Also, I've uploaded a few more potential covers on the original post. :D

I am Jordan the Ninja, pleased to meet ya.

My first YA Fantasy book YOUTH available on Amazon: tinyurl.com/jk2kx6k 

Twitter: @JordanAdams1128

Instagram: @JordanAdams1128

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#4 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

I like the first cover the best, I think, though the second is close. As was mentioned above, genre doesn't seem to be immediately obvious with any of the covers (though with the blood on the last one, I think mystery or thriller). So that's something to consider.

#5 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

First impression: I like the white background. The middle one feels cheesy. The first one is okay. The white background one looks cleaner. The blood adds a atmosphere of darkness, while the the white background denotes freshness. I like the combination. Hmm...what about a cream colored background? Like an eggshell? It would decrease the stark-white effect. (That's what I call it when it looks like someone just picked white because they couldn't choose a color.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users