#1 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published in a magazine.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

With 2016 being a very intense, life-altering year for me, I find its ending very appropriate to really show the progression of growth that I've gained since this year started. Kindle Publishing wasn't something I'd previously considered, and so I was weary at first, and I'm still pursuing the traditional publishing route, but there was a particular story that I wrote 3 years ago that was collecting dust on my desktop, but it was one I really wanted to share with people.

I think it's necessary to revisit things you've written, remember what mindset you were in when you wrote it and why. This particular story is more personal in that it deals with a lot of my own fears as well as delving into a spiritual side of mine. I wrote a (terrible) query letter at one point and posted it on it, but I'm not sure if it's even still on the site.

It's a novella, titled Hymn, and I'm very nervous and excited to actually put it out into the world. It's one of my favorite things that I've written that I would be very re-missed if I didn't consider sharing it with others. I'm not 100% certain as to when it'll be released, but it''ll be up before the year is over.

Now, I want your guys' opinion on these two possible covers that I've created. I made a few others but narrowed it down to these two.  I love both of them a lot. The rose is a big symbol for the story, hence why they both include that depiction. What do you think?

UPDATE: I've attached and additional cover that I really love (with the blood hands)

Attached Files

I am Jordan the Ninja, pleased to meet ya.

Twitter@JordanAdams1128

Instagramhttps://www.instagra...rdan_adams1128/

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

Who is your target audience and what is the genre? The first ones feels like romance to me and maybe woman as the target audience. The 2nd one says suspense/mystery.

#3 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

Who is your target audience and what is the genre? The first ones feels like romance to me and maybe woman as the target audience. The 2nd one says suspense/mystery.

I never really wrote with a target audience in mind, I feel it could appeal to mostly anyone. There are a lot of spiritual/religious themes prevalent throughout the story. The story itself is about a teenage male who loses his mother and is dealing with her loss, but later comes to find that he himself is also dying from a tumor. He is taken to a town a few hours away to seek the proper medical care, but comes to find that this town is more mystical (was the spot for immigrants seeking religious freedom; the spot for massive deaths during many wars; and a huge influx of advanced medicine) than he imagined. Without getting too in-depth, the rose symbolizes the flower he brings to his mother's grave, as I feel that is a huge focal point of the story, so I felt that the rose on the cover was very apt.

Twitter@JordanAdams1128

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#4 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:32 PM

Update, I posted a new cover in the first post! Let me know what you think, I think it may be the one.

Twitter@JordanAdams1128

#5 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

It's a common mistake for author's to write a book without thinking of their audience, (I did the same thing and needed like 4 major revisions just to get it into a genre) but if you haven't done your market research, now would be a good time.

So, your book sounds like a YA drama or something. I'm not an expert. The last two cover scream murder to me because of the blood. The first one looks like a funeral and that might be what your going for since that's what you described, but I don't know if it draws me in. I would say the 1st one is the better of the three, but I would keep working on it. I just got done doing a training with someone who has been in publishing for decades and she says flat out when it comes to publishing, the look of your book is more important than the content. The cover and title is going to be what grabs your audience. So, don't rush it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users