Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

I had an agent request a partial MS back in October. Her response time she said, was 6 to 8 weeks. This week marks Week 9. Should I send her a friendly nudge? Should I give her another week? What should I say within the nudge? What should my response be?

I feel like she should have gotten back to me by now if she was interested in the novel. but that little, flickering light bulb of hope inside of me doesn't want to give up without a definite rejection. 

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:35 PM

I personally give them a little extra time, because I, like you, like to give them every opportunity to come back with a yes before I follow up (because invariably I get rejected when I do, sigh). So I'd probably give her a few extra weeks myself.

As for the nudge, it can be pretty simple. Just let her know that you sent the partial on [date] and you were wondering if she'd gotten a chance to look at it yet. You can also ask for confirmation that she received it in the first place.

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

True...another week should be enough time. Thanks!

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Okay...so I sent the partial in October. The agent's time frame was 6 to 8 weeks. I've sent the follow-up email, but I've heard nothing. Should I assume it's rejected and move on? I don't want to send another email and come off as naggy. 

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

I think your instincts are correct. Move on. If you're wrong, it's a pleasant surprise and no harm done.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

I waited four months to nudge at my partials. It's sad when you hear nothing after the nudge, though.

For fulls - I only have one full out there - I plan to wait 5-6 months.

#7 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:04 PM

I had an agent not respond to a nudge, too.  Sucks doesn't it?  I think more important than not sounding "naggy" is realizing that you might want an agent who answers his/her emails, right? 

Also, a rule of thumb I've heard about nudges is to allow the promised time + 1/2.  (so 8 weeks promised, nudge after 12.) 

But again--I have a R&R out right now to an agent who responds to all emails---including a note to say material has been received and such. The difference is like night and day and really makes me want to work with her more!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users