#1 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published in a magazine.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:34 PM

Currently trying to publish to Kindle Direct, and formatting my Word document so that it won't look terrible on a Kindle is a terrible process. Does anyone know a software or a definite way to format the Word doc so it'll look good when I publish it?

Thank you!

I am Jordan the Ninja, pleased to meet ya.

My first YA Fantasy book YOUTH available on Amazon: tinyurl.com/jk2kx6k 

Twitter: @JordanAdams1128

Instagram: @JordanAdams1128

“All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:07 AM

I have no advice, but I was just going to say I would be interested in hearing the same answer from people. I hired someone because I didn't want to mess with it, but it was expensive.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:17 PM

I have not used them, but templates on Joel Friedlander's bookdesigner site seem interesting. I've watched a video and they're able to do it very quickly and easily and it's applicable for both POD and ebook. There's a cost, but it might be worth it for you.

#4 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:20 PM

I've used Calibre and had fairly decent success with it, though if you have a more complicated file (such as if you need a ncx file--which you need for a usable table of contents--or have a lot of images) you will need to edit its output.

You can also hire a professional book formatter. Though I would get recommendations for one if you choose to go that way--some are much better than others.

#5 J.A. Hunter

J.A. Hunter

Penmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a proud indie publisher and full-time penmonkey with five books out.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

This might be a little late in coming, but I cannot recommend Scrivener highly enough. It's only forty dollars to buy and it will allow you to easily complie documents in a variety of formats, including MOBI and EPUB files. There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you take the full tutorial (it takes a solid couple of hours), you'll get it easy enough. I use Scrivener for everything. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users