Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

I'm trying to find some logical ways a character can be neglected by people.Logical for a story anyway because in real life it doesn't have to make sense but for some reason in fiction it has to.

For the most part of the story I want my character shoved out the way, ignored by a lot of people, even his own mother. Then towards the end when he does what he will do people will start to notice him.

That's part of the conflict of the story by the way. People wanting to be with him now they realize he's better than what they thought he was. He won't like the extra attention because he's used to being ignored, and alone.

#2 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

This isn't the first time I've read your post.  I'm wondering if you mean neglected or ignored.  Many years ago I worked the night shift at cab company.   Night work is it's own little world and some ways quite isolated from others.  Your character might enjoy work at night, but insignificant and not participant during most people's waking hours.

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

I'll say ignored bordering on neglected. I've been thinking of various ways of doing this myself until recently. I even read an article about how a husband can be neglected by his own wife.

So your suggestion made things a bit easier. The nature of the characters work just has him in an out of the way kind of situation. The nature of his wife's work has her focusing on numerous factors so things can work smoothly. With everyone looking in various directions he'll be doing his thing. The neglected part kicks in when he needs medical attention, supplies, or spare parts. His status isn't that of which demands priority.

Later on the in the story he'll bring is companion (a dog) to a medical center. The dog will be unconscious and critical condition. He'll be covered in so much alien blood that a military unit will show up thinking the station is being invaded. That's the moment when people will start to really pay attention to him. The moment the conflict will occur. Especially between he and his wife.

#4 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:40 AM

Definitely put him in situations that amplify his isolation. Not just nightwork, but sitting in the corner of a crowded coffeshop. Then have him spill his coffee or something. Or have him at a restaurant all by himself and have the server bus his table while he's still there.

Also, if you haven't already, Kafka's "Metamorphosis" goes in DEEP with the idea of a melancholy, dark, isolated character that no one wants around.

#5 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

Hey,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look into Metamorphosis as well. Sounds interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users