#1 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:36 AM

Pretty sure I was posting this query on this site about a year ago, and I can finally say that I've signed with an agent! I sent out about 31-ish queries and entered both #PitMad and #DVpit (which was the one that ultimately got me my agent). Got about 4 partial requests, 5 fulls, and two offers of representation. The query:

Signe Barrowserf is property. The orphaned child of indentured serfs, she’s spent sixteen years chained to the town’s landlord, paying back her dead parents’ debt. With rebellion raging across the country of Neworld and a loyalist militia camped in town—their headquarters under the landlord’s own roof—Signe keeps her head down and her mouth shut. Soon, her sister and her brother-in-law will scrape together enough money to pay back Signe’s debt and she’ll be free of the loyalists' swaggering arrogance, free of the landlord’s son and his clammy, grabbing hands. All she needs to do is submit. Until she finds the rebel boy out in the woods.

Nathaniel Greenstone is not the young, wayward rebel he appears to be. He’s a wight—a shape-shifting spirit sent to spy on the militia for his rebel masters. But someone whispers to the militia that one of the townspeople is hiding him and a search gone wrong ends with Signe's brother-in-law murdered and her debt money stolen. The militia officers refuse to put their own men on trial. So Signe makes Greenstone an offer: she’ll risk the noose to be his eyes and ears within the landlord’s house, among the militia she despises, if he’ll give her vengeance.

The loyalists think they’re safe. They’re wrong.

THE GIRL IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING  is an 87,000 YA fantasy where women hold positions of power and no one has issues with it. This book stems from an obsession with the American Revolutionary War, a love for stories about kick-ass girls helping other kick-ass girls, and my asexual self shoving asexual protagonists into the spotlight.

I am now signed on with the Red Sofa Literary Agency. Thanks you everyone who chipped in to help me get this damn thing into shape!

#2 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:52 PM

Ahh!!! This is amazing!! You did it, I'm so happy for you!!!! *jumping, jumping, jumping*

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

Look for me on twitter. :) @@AuthorVV_Mont

Beyond The North Star: First 250
Beyond The North Star: First 250 of 2nd Ch. (Different POV)

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#3 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Solstice Publishing Nov 28, 2016

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Gibber! You rock!

So glad for you, sounds like an awesome story. So glad you got true representation!

Can't wait to read it!

Andrea Roche

Author: Nights Arose on Amazon

www.Facebook/NightsArose.com

Twitter: @Rose121562

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 22 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Go you! The query does work and it's a great example of an alternative world. 

#5 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, everyone! I seriously couldn't have gotten the query (and the ms) as good as it needed to be without the help of this site. What ended up being the offering request came after I shelved the project and moved on (I almost didn't send the ms to that agent when she asked, but decided last minute why not). So wherever you are in this, if landing an agent is your goal, don't ever, ever give up.

#6 ah_522

ah_522

I like Earl Grey macaroons.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:academic journal and publications, i'm currently querying my second MS

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

Congrats!!! I saw this on Beth Phelan's twitter and had no idea it was you. Yayyyyyy!!!

#7 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:18 PM

I'm not sure she was talking about mine, but she did find mine today and retweeted it. I'm torn between screaming and flailing, and hiding under the desk. :) Thanks!

#8 dmsimone

dmsimone

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Technical journals, patents.

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

Yay!! Congratulations!!! Want to help with my query, lol!

What a way to celebrate Christmas/Hanukkah/Ramadan/Festivus, etc.

My twitter pitch: http://agentquerycon...itmad/?p=326900

My query: http://agentquerycon...ntasy/?p=325180

My synopsis: http://agentquerycon...ntasy/?p=326911

I will happily return a critique, and feel free to send me a note if you would like me to critique your work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users