• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:29 AM

Phineas' or Phineas's?

I've seen possessive nouns that end in S both ways. I've never used a name that ended is S before, and I've not come across the problem. Now I have. The internet is giving me conflicting advice. One sight says the first is correct, another site says both - which way, Grammar Gurus, is correct? Does it matter? Is consistency more important? 

#2 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

If the words are ancient Greek or Latin names, they end in S'. If the words are more modern, you can use either S's or S', but the preferred choice is S's. And yes, consistency is important.

Jeanne

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

When the word following an s-possessive also begins with S, I typically do not add the S on the possessive. 

So I'd write "Ulysses' staff" rather than "Ulysses's staff."

#4 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

My agent changed all my single s thingies to doubles. Personally, I'd worry more about story and characters. That little issue will be fixed by the line editor who will have a house style guide.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#5 Gibber

Gibber

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Tooling around in fanfiction until shit got real.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

I'm wondering if this is one of those, "It doesn't matter as long as you keep it consistent" things.

#6 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

The rule I've seen is that it depends on whether the subject is plural or singular.  In the case of proper names it is usually apostrophe-s ('s). There are rare cases where proper names are plural.  For your case "Phineas's" is the accepted way.  An example of a s-apostrophe (s') would be, "All their cars' tires are flat."

Just be consistent in how you use the apostrophe and you should be fine.  Since most writers these days have to rely on self-editing, and most editors aren't more knowledgeable than the writers themselves, it's up to you to do the best you can.

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#7 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:12 AM

Thanks, team! You've strengthened my feelings about using the "s's" and not being send mean reviews. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users