#1 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

When my first book came out, oh, Lord, seven years ago, I just quietly sent it out into the world without any marketing, assuming it would be read by my friends and that would be the end of it.

To my surprise, it got picked up by a lot of different people and was generally well-received across the board.

Still, it never got very many reviews (though it does have a fair amount of ratings on Goodreads) and, since I never gave it its due back in the day, I'd like to give it a bit of a marketing push for the new year. I'd like to get it some reviews, so I can start submitting it to various services that send daily emails out to their subscribers.

I am aware of the normal process of tracking down reviewers and emailing them to ask if they'd be interested, but I wonder if it's worth the time and energy since the book has been out for so long. I have seen services where you pay some fee and they make the book available to their pool of reviewers, and they promise ~10-15 reviews out of it.

They claim this doesn't violate Amazon's no paying for reviews policy since the reviewers themselves don't get paid and the fee is just for access to the reviewer pool and the coordination of getting the book to the reviewers.

Has anyone used a service like this? How did it go? Was it worth the money?

If you have used a reviewer service and would recommend it, please let me know what said service was.

And if you have any other ideas for getting reviews or boosting visibility for an older book, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

#2 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Hey there. 

In general, I wouldn't go this route. It sounds questionable. 

I also don't know what point there is in trying to get reviews for a book that is 7 years old. The best way to get visibility for an older book is to publish another one. Frontlist sells backlist - this is something we say in the industry all the time and it's absolutely true. When a new book comes out, my older titles spike. 

If you really are looking for reviews, it is HARD to get people to do that. I'm part of an anthology with 12 other YA authors - all of them trad pubbed, one NYT seller and one USA Today Best seller. We hoped to pull from all 13 fan bases and the larger pool of the 2 well known authors... a year and half out we have 4 reviews on that thing. 

https://www.amazon.c...asap_bc?ie=UTF8

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

I think you'll have better success by redoing the book -- new cover, new ISBN -- and treating it as a relaunch. But before you do that, do your best to build an audience: if you don't already have one, create a website; if you don't already have one, establish an email list; and work on new material. As BBC said, front list sells back list. If readers like your new work, they're going to look into your older work.

#4 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 05 April 2017 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for your input, guys, and the alternatives. It felt a bit fishy to me, but I am admittedly a bit marketing challenged and thought I would double check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users