No replies to this topic

#1 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

When my first book came out, oh, Lord, seven years ago, I just quietly sent it out into the world without any marketing, assuming it would be read by my friends and that would be the end of it.

To my surprise, it got picked up by a lot of different people and was generally well-received across the board.

Still, it never got very many reviews (though it does have a fair amount of ratings on Goodreads) and, since I never gave it its due back in the day, I'd like to give it a bit of a marketing push for the new year. I'd like to get it some reviews, so I can start submitting it to various services that send daily emails out to their subscribers.

I am aware of the normal process of tracking down reviewers and emailing them to ask if they'd be interested, but I wonder if it's worth the time and energy since the book has been out for so long. I have seen services where you pay some fee and they make the book available to their pool of reviewers, and they promise ~10-15 reviews out of it.

They claim this doesn't violate Amazon's no paying for reviews policy since the reviewers themselves don't get paid and the fee is just for access to the reviewer pool and the coordination of getting the book to the reviewers.

Has anyone used a service like this? How did it go? Was it worth the money?

If you have used a reviewer service and would recommend it, please let me know what said service was.

And if you have any other ideas for getting reviews or boosting visibility for an older book, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users