3 replies to this topic

#1 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

I have put my first book aside for now and have started on my second one. With the first it just seemed to flow out of me and I did very little rewriting on it. This second one is driving me bonkers. I write and come to where I need to put it aside for a bit. I pick it back up, read it, and either find more to add here and there or some to delete, some to reword, etc. This was fine the first couple of times but it seems like every single time I read it I find more to correct in the story line or more I'd like to add or something! First of all, when do you stop doing that? Does there ever come a time where you are totally happy with what you have written? Second of all, sometimes I have a hard time coming up with names for my characters. I think of one and too many times it strikes me that it's too familiar to some other character I have read about or seen. Does anyone have some easier way to come up with them? I have my characters down pat, it's just the darn names for them. And last of all, when you finally get to the point of where you are finally done and want to send it out how many agents should you try at one time? I've read here about some just sending it out to a bunch of them while others send it out to a couple and then maybe a couple more. I have always loved writing but now that I have finally decided to put pen to paper for an entire novel the stress has WAY more than doubled. I feel like I want to step back for a bit but time is ticking away for me and I have this irrational fear that something will happen and it will never get done lol. Crazy right? Thanks for any help.

#2 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

I have another question. When you send your manuscript out or several chapters of it do you always send along something for them to return it to you if they are not interested or just let them toss it?

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Good morning!

A lot of people recommend not futzing about with your draft until you've got it done. It's much better to get the story done before you start editing it, because it's easier to see any big picture issues that need to be fixed before you worry about things like dialogue or sentence structure.

There's lots of different ways to name characters--you'll have to find one that works for you. I like to troll Behind the Name for meanings if characters don't supply their own names.

The amount of queries is also somewhat personal. I like to do it 5 at a time so I can judge if my query letter is working or if something seems to be putting people off, and then I can modify things, instead of eliminating the entire agent pool in one go. No matter what, though, make sure you're sending individual emails to each agent. Mass emails are a definite no.

On your last question, very few people do paper submissions anymore. But if you want a response or your manuscript back, you will need to include an envelope with your address and proper postage on it.

#4 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thank you so much! Your response was just what I needed to hear! I have spent far too much time going over and over what I already have written and it has slowed down my actual writing! It's so nice to get information from someone who has more experience with this whole thing. I truly love writing but it can be so frustrating! And it's not the writing, it's me. I have always had this thing about my writing not being good enough to even think of submitting. That is why I need to get my butt in gear and just get going. Thanks again!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users