Katx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Hi,

I finally entered the query trenches (somewhat tentatively) in August 2016, sending my query out to 10 agents. I received a couple of blanket rejections and a couple of personalised responses - both of which basically complemented specific parts of my novel but said that the plot just wasn't for them.

And then there was on agent who seemed really interested. She loved my partial and asked almost immediately for my full manuscript. This was all in August, within a week of me sending me queries out. And since, I've heard nothing. 5 months have passed - is it okay for me to send a follow up email? And how do I phrase that without seeming rude / inpatient / definitely putting her off?

Furthermore, since then I have completed a further edit. If this agent says she hasn't begun reading my MS but she is still interested, do I bring this up?

Thank you to anyone who can help me decide whether to prod or not to prod!

My critique threads are linked below:

QUERY: http://agentquerycon...a-contemporary/

SYNOPSIS: http://agentquerycon...a-contemporary/

If I've given you a critique please have a look, it is both much needed and appreciated! Thank you :)

#2 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

You really should have sent the finished, polish MS - but, if the agent does get back to you, yes I'd bring it up that you'd done an edit and tell her what you changed. 

Check out the agent's website before you send that email. Sometimes, when they request full MS, they tell you how long it could take. Sometimes it's a freakishly long time. It could be normal to have five to six months. If there is nothing on their website to indicate a time range, was their any information in the email they sent you when they asked for the full MS? If not, then go ahead and send a small nudge. 

Dear AGENT, 

Five months ago you request my full MS, TITLE, and I was wondering if you'd had the chance to look at it. 

#3 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

I would say it's okay to nudge at the five or six-month mark; typically, most agents respond by then, but I've received very enthusiastic full requests ONE YEAR after I sent a query. You just never know how much is in their backlog, or how much they are prioritizing their clients, etc.

Just remember: they have not forgotten you or your MS. If they were genuinely interested, they still are, and if they're a good and organized agent, they'll get back to you. 

I've actually sent a revised version of my MS to an agent before. While it's not ideal, per se, last-minute revisions do happen. I would say in your nudge you've revised and ask the agent if they'd like to take a look. If they're excited about your MS, they'll probably bite.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users