Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

I have my author site on Wordpress, but I'm looking into setting up an online workshop type site. Can I add a forum type thing one my free wordpress account or do I have to upgrade and pay them money? My research tells me that I can add plugins, but the admin side isn't letting me. When I hover the mouse over the "plugins" nothing comes up. When I click on it I get sent back to the dumbed-down admin side. 

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

That might be something that is specific to your hosting site and package as to why the admin is not letting you. I would contact the help desk for your hosting site because you should be able to add it as a plugin.

Another option that is free if you need to upgrade on your hosting site - I have seen some authors add private facebook groups in place of forums so that might be an option for you too and it might be more widely used because people check facebook all day. I have seen authors have it right on their navigation bar "to join private facebook group" etc.

#3 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Just as a side note. I love (cough) wordpress too.

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

You might want to have that cough checked out. 

XD

Thanks! Thought might work better than a forum, as well. I'm not doing anything immediately, but I'd like to start an online workshop station. I've been in a workshop almost continually for the past three years, and once I graduate I won't have them as classes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users