15 replies to this topic

#1 RyanDouglass

RyanDouglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've self-published one juvenile fiction novel.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

LATEST UPDATE AT POST #11!

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers feedback! I will happily return the favor.

16-year-old Jake Livingston sees dead people. In the translucent space between life and the afterlife is a world of lost artifacts and spirits in transition searching for a way to move on--or return to the lives they prematurely left. 

When the vengeful ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to Jake, his normally even temper turns erratic and violent. He dismays his mother, frightens his teachers and pushes away his crush-turned-friend, Fiona Chan. It doesn’t help that he and his brother are the only black students at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are always ready to vilify his every mistake.

As Jake struggles to hold on to his sense of self, he uncovers the brutal circumstances of Sawyer's death--a suicide that followed a massive school shooting. And the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his own—a closeted sexuality. In order to survive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and latch on to what reasons he survives. 

Complete at 72,000 words, JAKE IN THE BOX is a dual-narrative YA horror novel that will please fans of Dawn Kurtagich’s THE DEAD HOUSE and Gillian Flynn’s GONE GIRL.

Check out my query here: http://agentquerycon...-box-ya-horror/

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers feedback! I will happily return the favor.

16-year-old Jake Livingston sees dead people.Decent,but cliche hook. In the translucent space between life and the afterlife is a world of lost artifacts and spirits in transition searching for a way to move on--or return to the lives they prematurely left.  I didn't think this served a purpose.

When the vengeful ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to Jake, his normally even temper turns erratic and violent. He dismays his mother, frightens his teachers and pushes away his crush-turned-friend, Fiona Chan. It doesn’t help that he and his brother are the only black students at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are always ready to vilify his every mistake.

As Jake struggles to hold on to his sense of self, he uncovers the brutal circumstances of Sawyer's death--a suicide that followed a massive school shooting. And the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his own—a closeted sexuality. In order to survive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and latch on to what reasons he survives. 

Complete at 72,000 words, JAKE IN THE BOX is a dual-narrative YA horror novel that will please fans of Dawn Kurtagich’s THE DEAD HOUSE and Gillian Flynn’s GONE GIRL.

I think the main problem here is this is all character introduction. What do they want? not here. What stands in their way? not here. I mean possession is an obstacle, but there's no context here. What happens when they fail? Not here.

I would focus on answering these questions.

#3 jphollis

jphollis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

16-year-old Jake Livingston sees dead people. In the translucent space between life and the afterlife is a world of lost artifacts and spirits in transition searching for a way to move on--or return to the lives they prematurely left. 

I agree with everything Testome said. Lose that second sentence in the hook as it doesn't really add anything to the query. Maybe it's important to the plot in your book, but here it's just weighing you down.

As for the rest of your query, it's written well. I can't find anything else that I would really tell you to change, delete, or add, except that I'm also not really feeling the stakes here. So Jake is possessed and it changes his personality. Does he just want to get rid of this spirit possessing him? I'm assuming the other side of this dual-narrative story is Sawyer Doon, yet I don't see anything even hinting at this spirit's desires or goal. Your writing is solid, but from this query, I'm just not really caring about what happens to your characters, because as it stands, the stakes aren't very high.

My Blog: jphollis.com

#4 Vio Liddell

Vio Liddell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:"Les Agonies de l'Innocence" (Tabou Editions, June 2013). Novellas. Dark erotica/horror.
    "She danced under the stars" (Amazon Kindle, June 2018). Novella. Horror.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston sees dead people (way too cliche. You can't take a horror trope like that as a hook). In the translucent space between life and the afterlife is a world of lost artifacts and spirits in transition searching for a way to move on--or return to the lives they prematurely left. (This is very general and commonplace as well. If it doesn't play a key part in your story, you should cut it out as this is just world-building. If it does, you should bring out a particular trait of this space between life and afterlife, something we haven't already seen before. With such a catchy title for your book you can craft a hook so much better, I'm sure :wink: ).

When the vengeful ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to Jake (why?), his usual even temper turns erratic and violent. He dismays his mother, frightens his teachers and pushes away his crush-turned-friend Fiona Chan (no need to mention her name if she doesn't play a causal role in the plot afterward). It doesn’t help that Jake and his brother are the only black students at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where their peers are always ready to vilify their every mistake. Interesting.

As Jake struggles to hold on to his sense of self, he uncovers the brutal circumstances of Sawyer's death--a suicide that followed a massive school shooting. I like this! And the closer Jake's gets to understanding Sawyer's motivations, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his own—a closeted sexuality. (Maybe you give away too much with this line.. It could play as part of a plot twist you may not want to give away in the query). In order To survive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and latch on to what reasons he survives. (Too vague. I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Also, mind the repetition of "survive")

I think you're trying to push too much info in this query. You shouldn't mention secondary characters who don't play a causal role in your plot. Focus on your MC and the main antagonist, their goals, the major obstacles they come across and the stakes for both of them (especially if your story is a dual-narrative, the query must reflect both the voices of Jake and Sawyer). Anyway this story has potential I think!

I also have a query out there I would love feedback on, if you're interested: The Hero Syndrome (YA dark fantasy).

Good luck to you!

#5 RyanDouglass

RyanDouglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your invaluable feedback!! I made some minor changes and hopefully the stakes/motivation are clearer. 

16-year-old Jake Livingston has always been bothered by the dead. So when the ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to him, he writes it off as just another nuisance to ignore. That is, until his even temper turns erratic and violent, dismaying his mother, frightening his teachers and pushing away his crush-turned-friend. It doesn’t help that he’s one of the only black kids at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are prepped to vilify his every mistake.

As Jake struggles to hold onto who he is, he uncovers the horrifying circumstances of Sawyer's death, who shot up his school and killed himself before finishing his hit list. If Sawyer gains control over Jake's body, innocent people will die. But the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his very own. To stay alive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and discover his own reason to survive.  

#6 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston has always been bothered by the dead. [I think you can hook me a lot better here. It's fairly common to be bothered by death/the dead (and the first time I read this, I thought you meant that he was afraid of them, not literally bothered), so what makes Jake's situation particularly unique? What is the crux of his story?]

So when the ghost of Sawyer Doon [who is this] attaches itself to him, he writes it off as just another nuisance to ignore. [What does he normally do when ghosts bother him, and why him?] That is, until his even temper turns erratic and violent [be specific], dismaying his mother, frightening his teachers and pushing away his crush-turned-friend. [So, in this world, is he the only one who can see the ghosts? Does he hide his secret from everyone? Even his friends?] It doesn’t help that he’s one of the only black kids at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are prepped to vilify his every mistake. [That's an important detail and element of the story. Maybe your hook could look something like: "It's difficult to be the only black kid at a conservative prep school, especially when you're routinely being harassed by ghosts....for sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston," etc.]

As Jake struggles to hold onto who he is [why is he becoming so angry, exactly? What is the ghost doing/saying? And who is he in general?], he uncovers the horrifying circumstances of Sawyer's death [how does he find this out]: he shot up his school and killed himself before finishing his hit list. If Sawyer gains control over Jake's body, innocent people will die. [How would that work? Have ghosts taken over his body before?] But the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation [which is?], the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once-withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his very own. [I think this is kind of an iffy way to go, to be honest. To equate being a racial minority to being an angry, lonely kid who shoots up a school is a fine line that borders on possibly offensive. I'm sure your novel is nuanced and complex, but keep in mind that as a reader, I want to understand Sawyer beyond Sawyer's anger/isolation, and I want to understand Jake beyond him being haunted and feeling marginalized. Who is he and what does he do/want/need?] To stay alive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and discover his own reason to survive. [Be specific!]

I love the title and I think you've got an interesting premise here. 

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, March 20, 2018) ♔ 

image.jpg

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#7 RyanDouglass

RyanDouglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback julialynn! Just want to clarify (because this matters to me) that the "stigma" I'm referring to in the final paragraph is Sawyer's sexuality, not his loneliness. I'd included that he was gay in the original query but took out because I'm not sure I want to give that away. On second thoughts I might include it because it does say something about his character.

#8 jphollis

jphollis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:38 AM

Thank you everyone for all of your invaluable feedback!! I made some minor changes and hopefully the stakes/motivation are clearer. 

16-year-old Jake Livingston has always been bothered by the dead. (The hook is still not strong enough.) So when the ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to him, he writes it off as just another nuisance to ignore. That is, until his even temper turns erratic and violent (I agree with julialynn. Give more details here), dismaying his mother, frightening his teachers and pushing away his crush-turned-friend. It doesn’t help that he’s one of the only black kids at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are prepped to vilify his every mistake.

As Jake struggles to hold onto who he is, he uncovers the horrifying circumstances of Sawyer's death, who shot up his school and killed himself before finishing his hit list. (Now this is getting interesting!) If Sawyer gains control over Jake's body, innocent people will die. But the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation (I'd still like more detail about Sawyer's motivation, but I understand it may be something you don't want to reveal in your query.), the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a  stigma of his very own. To stay alive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and discover his own reason to survive.  (Better, but I think you could make this even stronger. He's not just fighting for his own life, he's fighting not to shoot up the school, right? Also, I'm confused, because I thought Sawyer attached himself to Jake, not the other way around. So why say that Jake has to confront what raws him to Sawyer?)

This is so much better than the last draft. Don't get discouraged. This story sounds quite unique and interesting!

#9 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback julialynn! Just want to clarify (because this matters to me) that the "stigma" I'm referring to in the final paragraph is Sawyer's sexuality, not his loneliness. I'd included that he was gay in the original query but took out because I'm not sure I want to give that away. On second thoughts I might include it because it does say something about his character.

Ah thanks for clarifying, that does make sense! I would make that clear in the query.

image.jpg

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#10 RosieSkye

RosieSkye

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

16 Sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston has always been bothered by (I'd be more punchy and specific here - how do they bother him?) the dead. So when the ghost of Sawyer Doon attaches itself to him, he writes it off as just another nuisance to ignore. That is, until his even temper turns erratic and violent, dismaying his mother, frightening his teachers and pushing away his crush-turned-friend. It doesn’t help that he’s one of the only black kids at the conservative Sunwood Academy, where his peers are prepped to vilify his every mistake.

As Jake struggles to hold onto who he is, he uncovers the horrifying circumstances of Sawyer's death, who shot up his school and killed himself before finishing his hit list. If Sawyer gains control over Jake's body, innocent people will die. But the closer Jake's comes to understanding Sawyer's motivation, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a once a withdrawn boy who wrangled with his a stigma of his very own. To stay alive, Jake will have to confront what draws him to Sawyer and discover his own reason to survive. (I'm not really sold on this last line. Does he need a specific reason to want to survive?)  

Complete at 72,000 words, JAKE IN THE BOX is a dual-narrative YA horror novel that will please fans of Dawn Kurtagich’s THE DEAD HOUSE and Gillian Flynn’s GONE GIRL. (Gone Girl is an adult thriller. I'd find another YA comp title, since this book will be positioned in the YA market.)

Good luck!

#11 RyanDouglass

RyanDouglass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

ROUND 3!

It's hard being the only black kid at a conservative prep school, especially when you’re routinely harassed by the dead. This year, sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston plans to make real friends, which won’t happen if he keeps retreating into a world no one else can see.  

But when Jake meets Sawyer Doon, he discovers a spirit too vengeful to ignore. Six years ago, Sawyer executed a massive school shooting and killed himself before finishing the job. His targets are still out there, and through Jake, he will finish what he started.

The more Jake ignores Sawyer, the more he feels the ghost boy’s impact on his psyche. Nightmares of Sawyer's abusive childhood haunt him in his sleep. While awake, he’s lashing out at his mother, teachers, and his crush-turned-friend.

The closer Jake's comes to understanding who Sawyer was, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a boy once bullied relentlessly for his sexuality, now hell-bent on taking power from a world that always took it from him. To protect himself from possession, Jake will have to find a voice in a school he feels he has none and discover his own reason to live.

Complete at 72,000 words, JAKE IN THE BOX is a dual-narrative YA horror novel that will please fans of Dawn Kurtagich’s THE DEAD HOUSE and Robin Wasserman’s THE WAKING DARK.

#12 VerKur

VerKur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Several pubs in literary magazines.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

I think this is a really solid query. While it is on the short side, I didn't think I needed more about the story.  (I don't read  YA so I can't comment on your comps-- I will say that if you are struggling to find comps that really match, best to leave them out).  Also, if you are a minority, you should mention this in your query.

#13 jphollis

jphollis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

ROUND 3!

It's hard being the only black kid at a conservative prep school, especially when you’re routinely harassed by the dead (Love this hook!). This year, sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston plans to make real friends, which won’t happen if he keeps retreating into a world no one else can see.  

But when Jake meets Sawyer Doon, he discovers a spirit too vengeful to ignore. Six years ago, Sawyer executed a massive school shooting and killed himself before finishing the job. His targets are still out there, and through Jake, he will finish what he started.

The more Jake ignores Sawyer, the more he feels the ghost boy’s impact on his psyche. Nightmares of Sawyer's abusive childhood haunt him in his sleep. While awake, he’s lashing (I would maybe change this to simple present tense) out at his mother, teachers, and his crush-turned-friend.

The closer Jake's comes to understanding who Sawyer was, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a boy once bullied relentlessly for his sexuality, now hell-bent on taking power from a world that always took it from him. To protect himself from possession, Jake will have to find a voice in a school he feels he has none (This is awkward phrasing. Maybe try "Jake will have to find a voice in a school where he feels he has none") and discover his own reason to live.

Complete at 72,000 words, JAKE IN THE BOX is a dual-narrative YA horror novel that will please fans of Dawn Kurtagich’s THE DEAD HOUSE and Robin Wasserman’s THE WAKING DARK.

This is a huge step up from the previous draft. Those two little nitpicks are the only suggestions I can make. Sounds great!

#14 nonstop

nonstop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

ROUND 3!

It's hard being the only black kid at a conservative prep school, especially when you’re routinely harassed by the dead. (Great hook! Places us in the setting and genre right away and makes us want to find out more.) This year, sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston plans to make real friends, which won’t happen if he keeps retreating into a world no one else can see.  

But when Jake meets Sawyer Doon, he discovers a spirit too vengeful to ignore. Six years ago, Sawyer executed a massive school shooting and killed himself before finishing the job. His targets are still out there, and through Jake, he will (Will he? Are you telling us this? Or should it maybe be: "wants to"?) finish what he started.

The more Jake ignores Sawyer, the more he feels the ghost boy’s impact on his psyche. Nightmares of Sawyer's abusive childhood haunt him in his sleep. When he's While awake, he’s lashing lashes out at his mother, teachers, and his crush-turned-friend.

The closer Jake's (just a typo I think?) comes to understanding who Sawyer was, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a boy once bullied relentlessly for his sexuality, now hell-bent on taking power from a world that always took it from him. To protect himself from possession, Jake will have to find a voice in a school he feels he has none (I agree with jphollis, this is a bit clumsy. His suggestion is good, or something like: "find a voice in a school that doesn't want to listen") and discover his own reason to live.

I love this query! It does everything it's supposed to and gives us a real sense of what the book is about and what's at stake. There are only a couple of minor nitpicks that I've highlighted above, but in general I think this is pretty much good to go! Well done on a great query.

If you have time to take a look at mine (link in sig) it would be much appreciated.

#15 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

ROUND 3!

It's hard being the only black kid at a conservative prep school, especially when you’re routinely harassed by the dead. (Great hook!)This year, sixteen-year-old Jake Livingston plans to make real friends, which won’t happen if he keeps retreating into a world no one else can see.  

But when Jake meets Sawyer Doon, he discovers a spirit too vengeful to ignore. Six years ago, Sawyer executed a massive school shooting and killed himself before finishing the job. His targets are still out there, and through Jake, he will finish what he started.  (Didn't fully understand. What do you mean "through Jake?" Is Jake going to be possessed?)

The more Jake ignores Sawyer, the more he feels the ghost boy’s impact on his psyche. Nightmares of Sawyer's abusive childhood haunt him in his sleep. While awake, he’s lashing out at his mother, teachers, and his crush-turned-friend.

The closer Jake's comes to understanding who Sawyer was, the more he realizes how similar he is to Sawyer, a boy once bullied relentlessly for his sexuality, now hell-bent on taking power from a world that always took it from him. To protect himself from possession, (so he is possessed. Maybe you could mention this earlier?)Jake will have to find a voice in a school he feels he has none and discover his own reason to live.

This is actually a very good query. There are some unclear sentences, but overall it's good!

Hope this helped. If you can, please take a look at my latest revision: Red-Eyed Daniel  

#16 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Wow, what an improvement!

image.jpg