#1 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

This is an open question, regardless of genre or age group (though probably more applicable to YA/NA writers)...when writing, how into your character (whether through POV or narration) do you find yourself getting?

I ask this because, as I'm sure I've mentioned, I handwrote the rough draft of my latest WIP, and the story is told through journals and letters. I don't know if it was because of the pen on paper (or the beer) or what, but I'd find myself just WRITING for hours on end, forgetting the "real world" almost entirely. I'd have to almost literally *pull* myself away from the pages haha
Anyway now that I've begun the actual manuscript (I scanned the handwritten pages and PDF'ed them—GREAT for illustrations by the way!) I find myself going "method" in another way, by not looking at the handwritten draft as "mine"...sort of a past life from a parallel universe type of thing, I wouldn't know how to describe it succinctly.

How often do you as a writer blur this line? I find it a fascinating, almost meditative, creative process.

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

#2 Michael Steven

Michael Steven

Venture far from the Beaten Path

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not Published ... yet!

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:35 AM

I've handwritten parts of my manuscripts (usually when flying on a trip across country).  When I type in those pages I just touch type them in.  I've never over analyzed my perspective.  I wrote it.  I converted it.  At times I itch to edit some of what I converted, but unless it was a serious blunder I suppress the urge and just copy.

Let there be light on this planet ... And let it shine through me
Let there be travellers who venture ... Far from the beaten path
And let one of them be me - Jefferson Starship - Champion (unused lyrics)

#3 Jeanne

Jeanne

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press), was released in March 2015 and received an Independent Publishing Book Award (Bronze) in the national category of religious fiction. My short stories and creative nonfiction have been published Hippocampus, Literary Mama, Museum of Americana, Red Savina Review, Hermeneutic Chaos Literary Journal, and Barrelhouse, among many others.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

It sounds like you've developed some emotional distance from that handwritten draft, and that's a good thing. The more emotional distance you have from your work, the easier it will be to edit. This is one reason I let things "cool" before I tackle revisions and edits.

Jeanne

#4 JeffJustWrites

JeffJustWrites

Hal ethrimi! (Keep writing!)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Seeking agent for a New Adult epistolary dark fantasy/horror novel.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, what I did was I gave myself a week away, then took the handwritten draft (which I'd actually written in leather journals from Barnes & Noble haha) and scanned them with my phone and imported them into a PDF. That way I can have the journal on the same screen as I type in Word. This also helps when I want to add a "facsimile" from the "original" journal, be it part of a page or an entire page.

So emotionally, yes, very distant—I'm editing as I transcribe. Creatively, however, it's very near. What I'm trying to get across to the reader is that I found this journal (and by using the journal pages for illustration, that THEY found the journal too), and that I'm just "arranging" the journals to be published.

I guess I'm trying to bring the writing process INTO the subtext of the book itself.

My Perpetually Metamorphosing Query

At vahrai u ihlókéon. At u Atavithion. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users