#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

So I queried an agent a few days ago, and this was their response. I don't know if it's a positive or negative thing. But from your experience, is this a good sign? 

Dear Jonathan,

Hi there! I just reviewed (book), and I must say -- I was excited to dive into your pages because I love gritty, realistic YA, and I’m particularly keen to build my list in YA this year, so thanks for thinking of me!

That having been said, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on your project because I didn't really fall in love with it as much as I would have liked. Your themes are urgent and necessary, and your voice is strong and has personality, but I just wasn't connecting with it. I always like to be straightforward with my authors, but trust me, I hate it when it just boils down to a lack of passion on my side, because I feel as though there isn't much constructive feedback you can take away from it. But I cannot do justice to my clients unless I really connect with their work, and honestly, you deserve an agent who really gets you and wants to work with you because they absolutely can't let you go. 

I wish I had better news for you -- I always like to remind writers that regardless of my subjective opinion, there are lots of agents out there. Who knows, someone might just feel that "spark" for your project and want to represent it as it currently stands. Please continue to persevere, and I wish you the very best of luck in securing representation!

My best,

Agent

#2 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Definitely positive. You got a detailed, personalized R, with some helpful feedback.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

#3 Kat_A_Turner

Kat_A_Turner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Good. The rejection had to do with this agent's subjective taste, not an issue with your query or mss. 

#4 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

GOOD. Agents a re super busy, but this agent took the time to write you a personal note about your manuscript. That is a huge plus. It's like getting a piece of candy when the teacher hands your test back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users