Hi gang. I know I haven't said much around here for quite some time, but after several years of discovering that agents don't seem to feel they can sell my book anywhere, I finally decided to do it myself.
I use the Libre Office Writer for word processing. The price is right and for the most part it does everything that Microsoft Word does including formatting files to .doc or .docx file formats.
With my manuscript exhaustively edited, I downloaded a word template from Create Space and proceeded to format the manuscript for a 6X9 book. The template was wonderfully straight forward to me, and I expected no problems when I uploaded the file to Create Space.
I then discovered that Office Libre had no means to embed fonts, but would have seemed not to be a problem because Create Space substituted the font I wanted to use, but at 308 pages the gutter requirements changed from those provided by the the template, and I would have to adjust for printing problems on 3 pages.
Also the file conversion Create Space had performed had changed the spacing in the novel. I had inserted paragraphing to prevent a number of orphaned lines, but now new lines were orphaned and there were unexplained gaps in the manuscript.
I read the Create Space article on how to embed fonts using Microsoft Word. My wife has Microsoft Word 16 on her new Mac so I thought I would be able to re-edit the manuscript there and embed fonts.
I put the manuscript on a usb drive and took it to Diane's Mac. Very mysteriously my former file became a 278 page document when read by that software. I was shocked.
I then discovered that there was no apparent way to embed a font in Word 16 for Mac.
However if my pagination was smaller, maybe I no longer required the gutter changes. I uploaded the .doc file I had re-edited and saved from Word. The shorter length remained, my space adjustments for open lines remained, and I no longer had in printing issues. I haven't locked the manuscript yet because I want to know from my cover designer how he wants his credit to appear in the final manuscript.
A little Internet research provided some explanation. Apparently Microsoft Word in this latest versions makes your page format, fonts, etc dependent on which printer drivers it finds for your default printer. Diane and I were using the same printer, but Office Libre doesn' imitate that practice so I got very different results from what was not quite the same .doc file.
Perhaps Word 16 for the Mac is automatically embedding the fonts. Create Space did not complain that they were having to substitute a font when uploaded the file.