6 replies to this topic

#1 Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None. This is my first time with any and all of this so I'm learning right now.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

The title I've been working with for my book has been 'Ignite' for a while now. However it feels super bland even to me and it's also the English translation of the name of my MC's brother which is just awkward

I've played with other titles and haven't found many I liked. A few I keep coming back to are: 

• 'The Ignited'
  • 'Phoenix Rising'
  • 'The Annealing' 

Any thoughts about what would be most attention grabbing to a passing reader?

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:57 PM

The one I prefer is Phoenix Rising though it feels overused and cliche. So I would go with the Annealing(though this sounds a bit awkward). I dislike the first choice entirely.

#3 Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:None. This is my first time with any and all of this so I'm learning right now.

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

How does From the Ashes  sound?? I'm still trying to name my book something fitting to the story and interesting. 

#4 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:30 AM

I liked the simple "Ignite" the best.

#5 EllieFirestone1

EllieFirestone1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Out of those three, I like "The Ignited" the best. "Phoenix Rising" is too cliche, and most readers probably don't know what "Annealing" means.

My only quibble is that it sounds a little bit like "Ignite Me" (third book in the mega-bestselling Shatter Me trilogy), but that might be a moot point if you don't write the same genre (YA dystopian).

#6 Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Out of those three, I like "The Ignited" the best. "Phoenix Rising" is too cliche, and most readers probably don't know what "Annealing" means.

My only quibble is that it sounds a little bit like "Ignite Me" (third book in the mega-bestselling Shatter Me trilogy), but that might be a moot point if you don't write the same genre (YA dystopian).

It is YA, but it's fantasy so I don't know how hard that will clash... But thanks for letting me know because I'd never heard of it (and might have to check it out now lol)

If I go with any form of Ignited/Ignited would it sound strange considering the book would be essentially named after the MC's brother rather than her? His name is Igna, which would translate to Ignite/d in english.

#7 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

If I go with any form of Ignited/Ignited would it sound strange considering the book would be essentially named after the MC's brother rather than her? His name is Igna, which would translate to Ignite/d in english.

It depends on his role in the story. I doesn't have to be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users