4 replies to this topic

#1 theboldfox

theboldfox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've been writing since I could put a noun to a verb. Currently, my most consuming writing project is the art and culture blog Montreal Rampage (www.montrealrampage.com).

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

When the revolution targets her family, Mathilda's best weapon is between her ears, though a lock pick doesn't hurt either. 

Note: I'm having a lot of trouble with the very last bit of the sentence. ugh. 

Good karma! Please have a look at my query if you have a moment: http://agentquerycon...s-ya-dystopian/

#2 ViviMont

ViviMont

Vanessa V.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

I'm really not sure what your story is about. The revolution targeted her family, she's smart, and she knows how to use a lock pick-- but these things don't seem to connect. Tell us your character's dilemma and give us what's at stake if she doesn't solve it. Easier said than done, I know. ;) Best of luck!

I hope I've been helpful in some way. If you have the chance, I'm currently looking for all the help I can get on my first 250 of Elementalist. Thanks so much and may the words be with you!

Look for me on twitter. :) @@AuthorVV_Mont

Beyond The North Star: First 250
Beyond The North Star: First 250 of 2nd Ch. (Different POV)

[topic='Beyond the North Star Query']http://agentquerycon...ar-revision-15/[/topic]

#3 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

Agreed, and since the "what's at stake" issue may not always apply, (I had the same issue since my story was a bit outside of the Western world's approach to story), tell us what your character wants, what's in their way, and what must they do to obtain it.

#4 e.korley

e.korley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:35 PM

Okay, I didn't get the goal, but I like the words. E.g. '...best weapon is between her ears' is interesting because I feel like you meant more. 

#5 Kat_A_Turner

Kat_A_Turner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS South

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

Yeah I agree that stakes and dilemma need to be clearer. 

Unarmed and outmanned, Matilda's family appears doomed to fall to the revolutionary army. Matilda's got smarts and can pick locks--can her weapons save her loved ones? 

That doesn't fit your story, but hopefully some of it helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users