#1 Judy Mohr

Judy Mohr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Many contests are wanting a 35-word pitch and I must admit that 35 words seems a perfect length for a promo too, so I'd thought I'd put one together. Any thoughts on the following:

Drezel can stave off death, frightening it away when it comes knocking. She can bring back the dead. Of course, that's assuming the ones who hunger for the dead's magic don't find her first.

#2 Testome

Testome

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I'm not really seeing the goal of the mc or the stakes here.  Perhaps a vague hint of the conflict.  I think you've spent too much time focused on her powers.

#3 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Yeah I think it would be better if you would consolidate it into one thought. What's the main goal?

#4 Niambi

Niambi

Malaika: Fallen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalism

Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

Indeed, and 35 words isn't so bad.  There's a lot of fat to trim even with what you have, and that leaves space for adding in more information about the story.

Many contests are wanting a 35-word pitch and I must admit that 35 words seems a perfect length for a promo too, so I'd thought I'd put one together. Any thoughts on the following:

Drezel can stave off death, frightening it away when it comes knocking. She can bring back the dead. Of course, that's assuming the ones who hunger for the dead's magic don't find her first.

Drezel can stave off death, frightening it away when it comes knocking. She [AND] bring back the dead. Of course, that's [A]ssuming the ones who hunger for the dead's magic don't find her first.

That's 23 words.

#5 Judy Mohr

Judy Mohr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:13 PM

Thank you all for your comments. It'll take some time to work out how best to use them.

Judy L Mohr

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Fantasy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users