8 replies to this topic

#1 spauff

spauff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles, columns and blog posts, but no published fiction...yet.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

One of the literary agencies I submitted my manuscript to sent me a note, saying they were taking my MS to an editorial meeting. What does this mean? I haven't signed with anyone.

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

I think it's a good thing. Good luck!

#3 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

I think it's probably not a "meeting with an editor"  but rather a conference between the agents of the agency to discuss your manuscript and what revisions they may request.  but also, I don't think you'd be remiss in asking her for a clarification. 

#4 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

Yeah, Thrash is right. It's a meeting with others in the agency to discuss signing your ms, what changes need to be made, how viable it is, things like that. Have you heard back on it yet?

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Wait a minute-- do you mean you haven't signed with a PUBLISHER yet or that you haven't signed with an AGENT.

In the first instance--if you have an agent but not a publisher yet it is a good sign if, after an initial editor is approached by your agent he/she likes the manuscript enough to take it to committee.

In the second instance--if you have not signed with this agent/agency, they should not be showing your work to any publishers. Period. Because you only get one bite at those apples (each imprint of a publisher) and so you really do not those squandered until you've affirmatively decided who will represent you. 

Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 spauff

spauff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles, columns and blog posts, but no published fiction...yet.

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

I haven't signed with an agency yet. But since originally posted this I've had more communication with this agent and I think Thrash and DogHugger are right -- it was an agency meeting, not a meeting with a publisher. Regardless, I have a phone call with said agent tomorrow, so we'll see what happens...

#7 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:13 PM

Good luck!

#8 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

It sounds like the agent / agency that you are querying must be heavily editorial - some are, some aren't.

If they're taking it to an editorial meeting then the agent you queried is probably having a meeting with fellow agents in the agency to talk about how much work the ms may (or may not need) and (maybe?) checking with other agents about how they think this would be positioned in the market, genre wise.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#9 DogHugger

DogHugger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:FREYJA'S DAUGHTER (2018 from City Owl Press)

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

How'd the phone call go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users