#1 Icehvs

Icehvs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

So, right off the bat, I have to confess that I am horrifyingly bad at coming up with titles. I have this tendency to ponder on them and keep the working title at the end. However, the book I wrote last has the potential to be my breakthrough, so I think it’s high time I asked for advice.

The story is about a group of college freshmen. It has a Romantic element, with the main character getting to know his high school crush more and more as they’re working together, slowly realizing she’s not the person he imagined her to be. Now, what they’re working on is the center of the plot: the 2016 Democratic Primary. Namely, they’re supporters of the Sanders-campaign. The girl got the guy into it, and they’re basically racing through the whole series of events, from late-August of 2015 to the California Primary.

To reflect the central role of the political line in the story, I thought about “A Future They Believed In” as the title. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

I think the title sounds good for what I know about the story.

#3 billluton

billluton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet. I published my doctoral dissertation, but I don't think my YA audience is going to want to read that ;)

Posted 05 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Can you say a little more about what it was that she turned out to be (which wasn't what he'd thought)? I think that can have some relevance in title discussions. I'm a political guy, but I'm not sure your working title will have this one flying off the shelf. Does the plot sort run parallel to the Sanders campaign? Where there was all this promise and hope and energy, and then the universe sort of pulled the plug? If so, I'd think about those types of feelings and emotions that your reader could relate to. If you'd like to throw some of these answers out here, I'll be happy to make some suggestions  

All the best,

Bill

#4 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

I don't know exactly why, but "A future they believed in"  sounds non-fiction to me---as if it were a memoir set during the actual Sanders campaign rather than a novel. 

#5 onArete

onArete

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Title sounds good.  Don't stress about it.

Cheers!

#6 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

I like it the more I think about it.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔