2 replies to this topic

#1 samlat77

samlat77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have recently been welcomed into the folds of an indie publisher, Blue Deco. My debut novel, CROSSFIRE, is available on all ereaders and through Amazon.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

Okay, so I'm published via small publisher, but I'm already starting to look at getting an agent. I mean, I've tried already many times, but my publisher ended up picking up said book I had been querying. So I guess my question is, is it a good idea to query agents in an effort to get one of the big publishers or not, since I am already published...

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

Sure. I know lots of authors who published with a small pub. or self-pubbed first, then got an agent.

Of course, usually the agent will want to just rep. NEW manuscripts that you have written (not the already pubbed stuff) so if you have new books to query, go for it.

#3 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

What LucidDreamer said! :)

Agents are generally happy to take on authors who've already published with small presses; as long as they think they can sell YOUR *new, unpublished* manuscript, that's usually what matters most. Some agents may prefer debut authors, but I don't think it's a big deal or even really a deal breaker, especially if your indie press book did fairly well or received great reviews.

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Traditional Publishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users