kene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hi, guys. 

Orphan Diana Virgin is the misplaced heir to the world’s diamonds industry, but her death may be the only way to sign for it. 

Is this a good hook? 

#2 Castlewriter

Castlewriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've self-published a nonfiction book, Smokeless: An Introductory Guide To The Pleasures Of Vaping (since unpublished due to being outdated as the industry advanced beyond it), as well as having had short stories published by niche online publishers. Working on my first full length novel as well as a horror novella.

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:24 AM

It's got punch via its brevity, but it doesn't really establish what we need to know about the character or the forces working against her. Specifically, what I'd like to know is: what does she need to overcome in order to win, and who (or what) is trying to stop her? Additionally, are there other characters who share the stakes?

#3 kene

kene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

It's got punch via its brevity, but it doesn't really establish what we need to know about the character or the forces working against her. Specifically, what I'd like to know is: what does she need to overcome in order to win, and who (or what) is trying to stop her? Additionally, are there other characters who share the stakes?

That definitely makes sense, thanks. I reckon I have to maintain the intrigue no matter what. How about:

Orphan Diana Virgin is the misplaced heir to the worlds diamond industry, but knowing the devil, her death will be the only way to sign for it.

#4 texastea89

texastea89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Is this a hook for the beginning of a query or a pitch. 

I think this would work great in the beginning of a query where the reader is about to get more info. 

As a pitch, this might be short, and provide too little info on your character and her stakes. 

#5 kene

kene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

Is this a hook for the beginning of a query or a pitch. 

I think this would work great in the beginning of a query where the reader is about to get more info. 

As a pitch, this might be short, and provide too little info on your character and her stakes. 

Cheers, mate. It's for a query letter. Do you reckon its a top hook? Does it do the job?

#6 Andrea Roche

Andrea Roche

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Solstice Publishing Nov 28, 2016

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

That definitely makes sense, thanks. I reckon I have to maintain the intrigue no matter what. How about:

Orphan Diana Virgin is the misplaced heir to the worlds diamond industry, but knowing the devil, her death will be the only way to sign for it.

This makes no sense and is grammatically incorrect. You have left a participle dangling here and have a passive sentence. Your pronoun "it" leaves us not knowing what exactly IT is.  And what do you mean by "sign for it." ? There are way too many questions here if you don't give enough information and hope the reader actually read the query to know what the story is about, sorry they may never get there. 

Andrea Roche

Author: Nights Arose on Amazon

www.Facebook/NightsArose.com

Twitter: @Rose121562

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Commercial Fiction, Mystery, Romance, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users