#1 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

Hey, guys! Thanks for taking a look at this. I think it's a bit long...it's around 725 words and it seems like closer to 500 is the place to be, but I'm not sure what could be taken out. So if you see anything that's cut-able, please let me know!

~*~*~*~

At first, it seems like a normal day at Fairmont High School. Seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL’s parents continue to be overly concerned about her college prospects, her archnemesis CECILY ROBERTS continues to be a jerk, and she continues to be unable to have a decent conversation with her crush, ALAN REY.

But things change when Sara arrives in the library for history. Cecily picks up a weird, out-of-place book and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend, ALI KENDALL, starts hearing someone whispering her name when in the library, though there’s no one to be seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects and she is cast as the lead.

Cecily, enraged at Sara seemingly coming in and stealing the lead from her, comes up with increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of the musical, culminating in a fight in the hallway. Ali, always defensive of the more passive Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in. Eventually, Ali gives in and tells Sara about the haunting, but Sara is unable to come up with a logical reason to explain it away.

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the Bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily screams at Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, the next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to get letters from Ali in her locker, worrying about where she is and what has happened and who a redheaded girl is. Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance. When Sara, in a fit of desperation, asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten to--she is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, and Cecily reveals that the book she found was a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back. Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like, even after Ali told her about the haunting, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a seemingly related ghost story about a local witch.

With the spellbook and Cecily’s help, Sara locates the portal to the shadow world and goes through to find Ali. The shadow world is the creation of MARTHA WADBY, a witch whose spell to grant immortality went wrong when she was executed, and who is forced to feed off the living to maintain her existence. Sara finds Ali but also redheaded Martha, who is infuriated by Sara coming into her domain. She attacks, but Cecily arrives to help, though she brings the spellbook--Martha’s spellbook--in with her. If Martha can get her hands on the book, she will be able to leave the shadow world and wreak further havoc. Ali, Sara, and Cecily attempt to get back to the portal but are forced into a confrontation with Martha; in it, the book is destroyed, and the shadow world collapses.

The girls make it through the portal at the last moment. Martha, too, survives, but as a shade, unable to do anything except whisper her final words over and over.

The experience has changed them all--Sara has realized that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s strong enough to do so. And while the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship.

#2 dragoness

dragoness

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:23 AM

Thank you for your critique of my synopsis  :smile:

I love your synopsis - though I knew the story from your query, the synopsis is fascinating and suspenseful!

Why do you want to shorten it? I didn't see that a synopsis should be under 500 words. Did you? Do you think I should also shorten my synopsis?

Here are my detailed comments:

At first, it seems like a normal day at Fairmont High School. Seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL’s parents continue to be overly concerned about her college prospects, her archnemesis CECILY ROBERTS continues to be a jerk, and she continues to be unable to have a decent conversation with her crush, ALAN REY. (I think you better start with the plot and not with the background. Besides, there are too many names in this short paragraph, and the MC is not one of them, only her parents. I think you better start with something like: When SARA O’NEILL arrives in the library for history, her archnemesis CECILY ROBERTS picks up..." Maybe add the parents' worries and her crush as reason to join the musical? Is her crush affect the main plot? I think you better mention him again, or not mention him at all, at least not with his name.)

But things change when Sara arrives in the library for history. Cecily picks up a weird, out-of-place book and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend, ALI KENDALL, starts hearing someone whispering her name when in the library, though there’s no one to be seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects and she is cast as the lead.

Cecily, enraged at Sara seemingly coming in and stealing the lead from her, comes up with increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of the musical, culminating in a fight in the hallway. Ali, always defensive of the more passive (passiveness cause the reader not to like a character, IMO) Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in. Eventually, Ali gives in and tells Sara about the haunting, but Sara is unable to come up with a logical reason to explain it away. (I think that if you want to shorten the synopsis you can delete all of this paragraph and to leave only "Ali tells Sara about now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in, but Sara is unable to come up with a logical reason to explain it away.")

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the Bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily screams at Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, the next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to get letters from Ali in her locker, worrying about where she is (who, Ali or Sara? anyway, you can omit the question of where she is.) and what has happened and who a redheaded girl is. Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance. When Sara, in a fit of desperation, asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten to--she is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, and Cecily reveals that the book she found was a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back. Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like, even after Ali told her about the haunting, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a seemingly related ghost story about a local witch.

With the spellbook and Cecily’s help, Sara locates the portal to the shadow world and goes through to find Ali. The shadow world is the creation of MARTHA WADBY, a witch whose spell to grant immortality went wrong when she was executed, and who is forced to feed off the living to maintain her existence. Sara finds Ali but also redheaded Martha, who is infuriated by Sara coming into her domain. She attacks, but Cecily arrives to help, though she brings the spellbook--Martha’s spellbook--in with her. If Martha can get her hands on the book, she will be able to leave the shadow world and wreak further havoc. Ali, Sara, and Cecily attempt to get back to the portal but are forced into a confrontation with Martha; in it, the book is destroyed, and the shadow world collapses.

The girls make it through the portal at the last moment. Martha, too, survives, but as a shade, unable to do anything except whisper her final words over and over.

The experience has changed them all--Sara has realized that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s strong enough to do so. And while the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship. (Great ending!)

Good luck!

I'd be happy if you could take a look on my new version: http://agentquerycon...eturn-critique/

#3 AutumnL

AutumnL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet, but hoping to be one day!

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hi! Thanks so much for looking at my synopsis! 

At first, it seems like a normal day The day starts out like any other at Fairmont High School. Seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL’s parents continue to be overly concerned about her college prospects, her archnemesis CECILY ROBERTS continues to be a jerk, and she continues to be unable to have a decent conversation with her crush, ALAN REY. (Now that I read it through, I'm not sure it's worth mentioning the crush) (I think you did a great job introducing a lot of characters in a clear and concise paragraph! Although it does sound like the beginning of many other stories. Maybe introduce some of the paranormal first thing? Right now, the second paragraph is where things start to get interesting!)

But things change when Sara arrives in the library for history.  When Cecily picks up a weird, out-of-place book in the library, Sara's day becomes anything but normal. The book and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class seems to possess Cecily. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend, ALI KENDALL, starts hearing someone whispering her (whose name? Ali's or Sara's?) name when in the library, though but there’s no one to be seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects and she is cast as the lead. (A little strangely worded in my opinion. I'm assuming Cecily is also in the play? I think you can cut out the detail of Ali convincing Sara)

Cecily is enraged at when Sara is chosen as the lead of the play seemingly coming in and stealing the lead from her and comes up with increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of the musical. culminating in a fight in the hallway. Ali, always defensive of the more passive Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in (This answers my question from before :)). Eventually, Ali gives in and tells Sara about the haunting, but Sara is unable to offer a logical explanation come up with a logical reason to explain it away.

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the Bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily screams at threatens Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, the next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to get letters from Ali in her locker, worrying about where she is and what has happened and who a redheaded girl is (? Maybe put this part in quotations to show it's a new and mysterious topic). Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance (Why? Does she feel guilty? Or are we not supposed to know?). When Sara, in a fit of desperation, asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten to--she is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, and Cecily reveals that the book she found was a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back (Okay this answers my other question too! :)). Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like, even after Ali told her about the haunting, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But after finding a strangely related story about a local witch, she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a seemingly related ghost story about a local witch.

The experience has changed them all--Sara has realized that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s strong enough to do so. And while the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship. (nice!)

Sounds like an awesome story! You are in a really good place and I could follow the story easily. The changes you could make are minor, keep up the great work!

#4 SRPasternack

SRPasternack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

At first, it seems like a normal day at Fairmont High School. Seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL’s parents continue to be overly concerned about her college prospects, her archnemesis CECILY ROBERTS continues to be a jerk, and she continues to be unable to have a decent conversation with her crush, ALAN REY.

But things change when Sara arrives in the library for history. When her arch-nemesis CECILY picks up a weird, out-of-place book, she begins acting strange and then leaves class. and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend ALI starts hearing hears someone whispering her name when in the library, though there’s no one to be found seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects. and To Sara's surprise and Cecily's ire, Sara is cast as the lead.

Cecily, enraged at Sara seemingly coming in and stealing the lead from her, comes up with increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of the musical, culminating in a fight in the hallway. Ali, always defensive of the more passive Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the  After a fight with Cecily, Ali tells Sara about the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in. Sara is unable to come up with a logical reason to explain it away, causing [some emotion].

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the B bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily screams at Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, the next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to gets letters from Ali in her locker, worrying about where she is and what has happened and who at the same time a strange redheaded girl is appears in school. Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance. When Sara, in a fit of desperation, Sara asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten to--and she is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, and Cecily reveals that the book she found was a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back. Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like, even after Ali told her about the haunting, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a seemingly related learning of a ghost story about a local witch.

The experience has changed them all: Sara has realized realizes that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s strong enough to do so. And while the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship.

I like the suggestions made by the other posters here! Hope this helped. :)

My Pitch--My Query--My Synopsis--My 250

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." W. Somerset Maugham

#5 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 184 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

dragoness--500 words is just something I've seen thrown around as a general guideline. From what I understand, different agents/publishers may want longer or shorter than that, and you just need to tweak as necessary.

Okay! Mostly tweaky: (Note to dragoness--leaving the "passive" description in for Sara because one of her character arcs is to start doing things for herself instead of letting Ali do them for her)

~*~*~*~*~*~

At first, it seems like a normal day at Fairmont High School. But things change when seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL arrives in the library for history. Her arch-nemesis CECILY ROBERTS picks up a weird, out-of-place book and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend, ALI KENDALL, starts hearing someone whispering her name when in the library, but there’s no one to be seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects. To Sara’s surprise, she is cast as the lead.

Cecily, enraged at Sara seemingly coming in and stealing the lead from her, comes up with increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of the musical. Ali, always defensive of the more passive Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in. Eventually, Ali gives in and tells Sara about the haunting, but Sara is unable to offer a logical explanation.

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily threatens Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, the next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to get letters from Ali in her locker, disturbing ones worrying about what’s happened and who a redheaded girl is. Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance. In a fit of desperation, Sara asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten to--and is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, and Cecily reveals that the book she found was a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back. Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like, even after Ali told her about the haunting, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a strangely related ghost story about a local witch.

The experience has changed them all--Sara realizes that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s strong enough to do so. While the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship.

#6 Chuck_Spragins

Chuck_Spragins

Rio rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Fingers crossed!

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

The quick introduction of three characters all in the first paragraph caused a bit of 'which one is which' confusion for the first half of the text before I got it all straight in my head. If there is a way to ease into the three intros more slowly it would be an smoother read.

You have introduced Martha very late in the synopsis. If she is the voice that Ali hears in the library, I would suggest introducing her then so that she is a familiar character when her role plays out toward the close. I know, that would make four names early on.

I may have condensed it a bit, but would not be too fussed about the length. From what I have read around this site and the links, it seems that those posting are the most concerned about that. Examples of successful synopsis are longer than the 600 to 800 words that many aim for. But who am I to say?

Perhaps you could take a look at my synopsis, RIVER PLATE BASIN.

At first, it seems like a normal day at Fairmont High School. But things change when seventeen-year-old SARA O’NEILL arrives in the library for history. Her arch-nemesis CECILY ROBERTS picks up a weird, out-of-place book and, seemingly possessed by it, leaves class. Meanwhile, Sara’s best friend, ALI KENDALL, starts hearsing someone whispering her name when in the library,(It is understood that they are all in the library.) but there’s no one to be seen.

Sara tries to avoid Cecily and her creepy book, but is thrust directly into her sights when Ali convinces Sara to try out for the school musical to improve her college prospects. To Sara’s surprise, she is cast as the lead.

Cecily, enraged at Sara seemingly coming in and for stealing the lead from her, comes up with contrives increasingly complicated ways to get Sara to drop--or be kicked out--of - the musical. Ali, always defendingsive of the more passive Sara, goes out of her way to make sure Cecily gets what karma owes her. Besides, protecting Sara from Cecily gives her something else to concentrate on besides the now-threatening whispers in the library, and the way she feels ill every time she goes in there. Eventually, Ali gives in and (I did not know Ali was holding back before.) tells Sara about the haunting, Do you mean whispers? Perhaps you could change it up with 'haunting voices.' but Sara is unable to offer a logical explanation.

Cecily begins ditching chemistry. Sara can see her heading out to the bleachers, but when confronted Cecily insists she was in class and has the work to back the statement up. Ali continues her one-woman crusade to teach Cecily a lesson, which leads to a fight between Sara and Ali when Sara feels Ali has gone too far. Cecily threatens Ali, saying she’ll get what she deserves. And then, tThe next day, Ali disappears.

Sara continues to get letters from Ali in her locker, disturbing ones saying that she is worriedying about what’s happened and asking who about a redheaded girl is. Cecily seems to be the only other person in the school affected by Ali’s disappearance. In a fit of desperation, Sara asks Cecily to help with a seance--something she had promised Ali but never gotten around to--and is surprised when Cecily agrees. But the Ouija Board tells them they can’t have Ali back.

Sara presses Cecily for information, (Why would she think that Cecily is withholding information?) and Cecily reveals that the book she found wais a spellbook and, annoyed with Ali’s attempts at revenge, that she used a spell from the book to banish Ali to a shadow world. She swears she didn’t think it would work--the hard spells never had before--and is now willing to help Sara get Ali back. Sara, who has never believed in ghosts or spells or anything of the like kind, even after Ali told her about the haunting voices, has a hard time believing Cecily’s tale. But she has no other leads, so she’s forced to accept it, especially after finding a strangely related ghost story about a local witch.Somewhere in this para I think you need to develop the idea of a change in Ali, stepping up and fighting to find her friend Ali.

With the spellbook and Cecily’s help, Sara locates the portal to the shadow world and goes through to find (Do you mean 'look for?') Ali. The shadow world is the creation of MARTHA WADBY, a witch (It seems a bit late in the synopsis to introduce a name character.) whose spell to grant immortality went wrong when she was executed, (Confusing. Can you be executed and still exist in the shadow world?) and who is forced to feed off the living to maintain her existence. Sara finds Ali (She already found her in the first sentence of this para.) but also redheaded Martha, who is infuriated by Sara coming into her domain. She attacks, but Cecily arrives to help., though sShe brings the spellbook--Martha’s spellbook--in with her. If Martha can get her hands on the book, she will be able to leave the shadow world and wreak further havoc. (I did not know that she had already wreaked any havoc.) Ali, Sara, and Cecily attempt to get back to the portal but are forced into a confrontation with Martha; in it, the book is destroyed, and the shadow world collapses.

The girls make it through the portal at the last moment. Martha, too, survives, but as a shade, unable to do anything except whisper her final words over and over. Are these the whipers that the Ali heard in the library? the answer help bring the story to resolution.

The experience has changed them all, especially-- Sara. She realizes that there are things worth fighting for and that she’s just how strong she is enough to do so. While the wrongs of the past aren’t erased, the three girls are able to start moving towards resolution and, maybe someday, friendship. Ali and Sara were friends all along, weren't they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users