#1 Mdane

Mdane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:35 AM

Hi, I created this cover for my MG fantasy novel,The Traitor in the Trees. I didn't draw the pictures, I had an artist draw each of the elements a couple years ago, and decided to merge them together for the cover. Please feel free to offer advice.

Attached Files

Desperately looking for advice on my query A Traitor in the Trees  found at http://agentquerycon...ord-ya-fantasy/

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

I'll take a stab at it. But these are just my novice opinions.

Front Cover-

I love the colors but the writing is hard to see and read, especially  "the" "traitor in the trees".  I literally had to zoom in to make it out. I wonder if you could do a fad of all the colors on the top so the writing would stick out more. I liked the font to traitor and you want people to see that, so if you can do a fad, or maybe play with different font sizes. It's best to have no picture behind words because they compete for attention.

The picture is perfect.

I would also make your name pop more. Maybe try a thicker font since your name isn't very long.

Back Cover

And as cute as the back cover picture is, it's incredibly hard to read the writing with so much going on. Could you fad the color a little so the writing stands out? Or maybe just have the person and leave everything above it a solid color.

I do like the way you have two color fonts though. It draws you in with the yellow and if you like that, you can read the rest...if you can see it. Right now, it hurts my eyes to read the white.

But, it's very striking and inviting. It would draw my attention for sure, but it wouldn't keep it because it hurts my eyes to read it. You just need to make the reading more legible.

Also -sorry to say but I just noticed the writing on the spine and I have been looking at this for like 10 minutes so that should probably pop more so that it JUMPS off the shelf.

Again - This is just my novice opinion. It's your cover so you have to like it.

#3 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:33 PM

Yeah, I agree with Sassalota that the text is hard to read, especially on the spine. The artwork and colors themselves are very nice. I'm not sure how to fix the readability issue, unfortunately--graphics are not my strong suit.

#4 Rhylee

Rhylee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Currently None. I am hoping to change that.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:57 PM

I agree with the others.  I love the colors.  Is this a childrens book or YA, with the small print and the characters, it reminded me of a Disney video cover or a cool video game jacket.  It's very stricking, I'd just blow up the lettering on the back and make it stand out more.  I'd also make sure it fits my audience.  

#5 Isabel Lauren

Isabel Lauren

New Kid on da Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not a published author.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

If you're still looking for reviews or even possibly suggestions--I would suggest darkening the area of the spine, behind the text. That way you can keep the font (because it's very nice, in my opinion), and keep the design of it. Maybe even try a solid color behind the spine text, but that's completely up to you!

Honestly, I think the font of your name looks good and is easily readable (it's hard to say how it will turn out when it's printed, but that can be tested out). Personally, I don't think you should fade out the colors on the top because it would lose it's vibrancy and if this is a children's or YA book, you'd probably want to keep that vibrancy.

Overall it's very cohesive and I think you've done a really great job!

If, when a test/proof is printed, the spine is completely and easily readable (even from afar), then you can leave it--but be honest with yourself about it's readability. You know what it says, but imagine you're seeing it for the first time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users