5 replies to this topic

#1 Sassalota

Sassalota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel in 2017.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm just curious what works the best for everyone - both trad and self published.

I'll be honest, I am having a lot of success with amazon ads right now, but I would like to find other marketing strategies that actually create sales specifically something that doesn't cost money. I am not someone who is comfortable spamming all my friends on facebook all the time. I like amazon ads because I don't have to do anything. I just put it on autopilot and people are on amazon to shop so I don't feel like I am being annoying. Any other suggestions.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'd like to hear more about how you've made the amazon ads work for you. What qualifies as success from your perspective?

#3 Sassalota

Sassalota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Sure- for me, success is when I make money and sell books. Amazon tracks how many sales you have as a direct result of your ads and they track your percentage of what that sale is costing you. You get to pick how much you want to spend.  It's a great way to drive traffic to your book if you don't have a following (which is me right now).  I have no other promotions going on right now, but I have regulars sales because of those ads. If you want more information, you can PM me.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

One thing I'd love to know more about (and if you prefer this in a PM, that's fine) is how you came to determine the keywords you used for your ads. What were the metrics you used to determine which would work best for your particular book?

#5 Sassalota

Sassalota

• Members
  • Pip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

I PMed you.

#6 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

So far, I've discovered that nothing works as well as you might think. 

I did blog tours for Magic Wand and got tons of glowing reviews... but they have translated into the kind of sales I'd like.  Here's hoping you can teach Matt some tricks. :)

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users