#1 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

I'm just curious what works the best for everyone - both trad and self published.

I'll be honest, I am having a lot of success with amazon ads right now, but I would like to find other marketing strategies that actually create sales specifically something that doesn't cost money. I am not someone who is comfortable spamming all my friends on facebook all the time. I like amazon ads because I don't have to do anything. I just put it on autopilot and people are on amazon to shop so I don't feel like I am being annoying. Any other suggestions.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

I'd like to hear more about how you've made the amazon ads work for you. What qualifies as success from your perspective?

#3 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

Sure- for me, success is when I make money and sell books. Amazon tracks how many sales you have as a direct result of your ads and they track your percentage of what that sale is costing you. You get to pick how much you want to spend.  It's a great way to drive traffic to your book if you don't have a following (which is me right now).  I have no other promotions going on right now, but I have regulars sales because of those ads. If you want more information, you can PM me.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:48 PM

One thing I'd love to know more about (and if you prefer this in a PM, that's fine) is how you came to determine the keywords you used for your ads. What were the metrics you used to determine which would work best for your particular book?

#5 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

I PMed you.

#6 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

So far, I've discovered that nothing works as well as you might think. 

I did blog tours for Magic Wand and got tons of glowing reviews... but they have translated into the kind of sales I'd like.  Here's hoping you can teach Matt some tricks. :)

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#7 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

That's awesome that you got great reviews. That's a huge part of the battle.

I was hoping he could teach me something :)

#8 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

The goal of this site in general is we all learn from each other. I hope I can teach you something as I aim to learn from you, too.

#9 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

I got the reviews by looking into blog tours here to see who had had good experiences with whom, and then reached out to those tour guides. 

Of course, that only guarantees reviews. Whether they are good and/or positive (2 different things) is up to the reviewer.

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

very true

#11 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

That's awesome that the Amazon ads are working for you. I sold 3 books with my first ad campaign, and it cost be about 12 dollars - I'm not the best at math, but that means I didn't make any money. But, I did get a few sales, which puts my book into the hands of readers, which is what I wanted. 

Another thing I've done is a Goodread's Giveaway. If you aren't familiar with it, people will enter for a chance to win a free copy, and then at the end you'll get their names and addresses, and you mail it to them. I think...about a thousand people entered mine. I did get two reviews out of it, though, which to me is good for a first book by an unknown author. I'll be setting another one up for the second book here soon.

I've heard - I haven't actually done this - that doing a author signing or something at a local library will boost sales. People are (supposedly) more likely to purchase a book in person than online. 

#12 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:05 PM

I'm still averaging about .50-.75 Average cost of sale on my ads. It was about 20% (.20 spent to make a sale), but it's getting harder and harder as more people find about the ads and there's so much competition. Right away, it worked amazing. I have found too that you have to start a new campaign every day. It works better when it's a fresh campaign.

I've heard of Goodreads giveaways. Do you get everyone's addresses or just the person who wins?

I don't see myself doing an author signing, but that's mainly because I live in a little town and know most people so it would be weird.

Thanks for the suggestions. Every little bit helps.

#13 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:59 PM

I think I have probably sold most of my books in person at school events and book fairs, which i found out about as a member of SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators). Those visits also can translate to a sale or two online.

by R.S. Mellette

#14 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:45 PM

So do you just send a stack of books to the book fair? You don't actually go there, do you? I can definitely see schools, libraries and fairs as big for kid book sales.

#15 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

No, I go to the book fairs. Mostly the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books and local school book fairs.

by R.S. Mellette

#16 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Robert has the right of it -- you have to be there in person to sell, but hand selling can be huge if you're good at, and personable. 

When I do an author visit at a school, library, or book fair, I generally can move anywhere from $100 to $500 in book sales. If it's a Book Festival or Fair - where people come with the intent of buying - I can move 30+ hardcovers (generally, depends on the crowd). This though is with four books in front of me, and with a wide variety of genres and age appropriateness to offer. When I was starting out with one or two titles in one genre, I would call 7 sales a good day.

As far as ads - I have no idea what works. The algorithms are complicated wherever you go, and places like FB have a lot of parameters about what your image can be (if it's too text heavy they won't accept it for a Boost). 

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#17 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

So do you just send a stack of books to the book fair? You don't actually go there, do you? I can definitely see schools, libraries and fairs as big for kid book sales.

I do actually go to the ones in the Los Angeles area. Without the support of a major distributor I don't think it would be profitable or wise to travel around the country to other festivals as I'm not independently wealthy.

by R.S. Mellette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users