2 replies to this topic

#1 Emilywrites

Emilywrites

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have 2 books out by small presses both available on Amazon, iTunes, Barnes and noble. Blue Moon under pen name Anne Bourne and The Catalyst under Emily Field.

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Hi all, 

I hope this is the right thread but I was wondering if I have an offer from a very reputable publishing company to publish a manuscript and I want to hook an agent with this offer...how would I write the letter? Do I just say I have an offer from *** and I'd like an agent's opinion on the contract, etc? 

Thanks for any help! I've never had to write one so I want to be sure the protocol is correct! 

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

That's what I would do. After the greeting, I would make the offer known and then say why you've chosen to contact that particular agent. I'd also include my query specifics, so they know if it's something they'd be interested in representing.

Congratulations on the offer and best of luck!

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,037 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi Emily -

First, be sure that the house is in fact, reputable. It sounds like you know what you're doing, but cover your bases, just in case.

Then, yes, I would approach agents with what you have been using as a query, but start the email with the statement that you have already received an offer of publication for the novel (query below) and are looking for an agent to negotiate the contract.

Make sense?

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users