Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hey team, so I've been working my way up to 'freelance editor' status, and I'm just about ready to start advertising myself as such, but I'm looking for some feedback. Not hardcore feedback, more of a first-glance kind. 

Would any of you be willing to take a look at the editing side of my website and tell me what you think? Does it look legit? Would you, if you were looking for a freelance editor, feel comfortable paying me as presented by this site? If so, why? If not, why not? If you've used freelance editors before, what made you go with the editor you choose? Was there anything that turned you off of a freelance editor?

As I said, I'm not quite ready time-wise to accept manuscripts, but i'm working my way there - I want to finish the workshop portion of my MFA first. I have a few weeks left, but I want to be ready come summer to freelance. 

My main concern is that my editing website is separate from my author site. Should I combine the two into one? Or leave my freelancing site separate but connected to my author site?

Here's the link to my editing site: https://nightowlediting.wordpress.com/

Here's the link to my author site: https://bbmorganblog.wordpress.com/

Any sort of feedback would be super helpful!

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hello! I have been running a freelance editing business for...::counts::...almost six years now, so hopefully I kind of know what I'm doing!

I think it's good to separate your two websites. It's what I do, and I think it gives the editing business a more serious air rather than "I am an author but I also need money so hire me for editing!" I do have a link to my editing business on my writing website and vice versa, so there's a connection, but it's not overwhelming.

As for your editing page, I think it would help to have some sort of Experience or About Me page to give people an idea why you're qualified to be editing their stuff. (Which reminds me--I need to update mine. ::makes note to do so:: ) When you get some, you can also add on testimonials. But I think the general idea is good! The site's easy to read and looks pretty clean.

If you'd like to look at my editing website, it's here. I will admit that I don't know how effective it is, since most of my business is repeat customers and word-of-mouth referrals, but it's served me pretty well.

#3 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

I like your site. It looks professional! I've discovered that a lot of freelancing goes by word-of-mouth, which I admit, I like. I'm much more apt to hire someone that I've been told about versus a random person on the internet. Anyone can make a site and ask for money. However, I've been beta reading for a while, and I'm hoping to drum up some business through that. 

#4 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

It looks good. I would also agree you need testimonies and you can get those easy by offering to edit people's first chapter or so for free.

I hire freelance editors but I want to know upfront how they edit. I like to see if they use an ap or just track changes. I won't pay for an editor who doesn't use a professional ap. It's so much faster for me when they do. I would literally take a screen shot of a MS you are working on to show people how your edits look.

I think it's helpful for you to list how you have editorial credentials. If you have a certificate or something, take a picture of it. I've been burned badly by editors who think they are professional when they really had a lot of to learn. I know you listed the creative writing degree and such, but that's different than editing. Most people probably won't be so picky with that sort of thing, but just something I notice. Maybe that's where your testimonies will come in.

But, it looks good and good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users